round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• round 2

Well, took my 9 y.o. for scoli check last week. Since I hadn't heard from the pediatrician, I started to convince myself that I was just being a worrywart (sp?)...well got the dreaded call yesterday that yes, he does have scoli (they measured 20T on x-ray). She has already put in a referral to our ortho so I'll call today to make an appt. I can't believe this, I am sooo depressed.

Renee

Oh no Renee, I'm so sorry to hear. I wanted to email you but the server is down. I know this such a scary developement since you already have one child who's been through surgery. What do you think you'll do this time? I always wondered if we would have had a much better chance at avoiding surgery if we had found out when Sheena's curves were much smaller and not taken the "wait and watch" approach. I wonder if the doctors will also be more aggressive because of Joe?

If you're not ready for the hard brace, the Spinecor is a great option as far as wearability. Sheena did very well in it compared to the hard brace.

We'll be out of town this weekend but I'll be sure to email when we get back.
    Hugs,

Comment

Renee,
      at least you know about it & can keep an eye on it from here on. Hopefully surgery won't be needed down the line. Good luck with the appointment and let us know how it goes, Lynne

Comment

Renee,
        I feel so sorry for you and your younger son. It's like your worst nightmare coming true. I just wish i could make it go away for you. The good news in this -if you can see any good at all right now- is that since you have gone through this once already at least you know ahead of time the questions to ask and what to look for. And if surgery does need to happen down the road (it may not) you at least know personally how good the results can be.
        Another positive thing is that techniques/instrumentation/bracing are always being improved upon. Like for instance my sons doctor is very interested in developing robotic implants and doing fusionless surgery. So you just never know what good things may happen. I know this doesn't change the reality of it for you but try to keep your spirits up and keep the hope that his curves may not change significantly. You helped me so much when Patrick had his surgery I am glad to be able to help you too.
        Take care.
        Ramona
        mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
        diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
        also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
        fused T4 to L1

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words. I feel I have a better handle on things emotionally and as far as being educated somewhat already. It will be interesting to hear the dr.s opinion next month about any improvements or new techniques that have come about in the past couple of years. On a positive note, the medical practice opened a satellite office about 15 min. from my home, sure beats driving an hour down to San Diego

Renee

Comment

Renee,
            I am very sorry to hear that another one of your children has scoliosis. I hope it doesn't progress to the point of needing surgery. How is he handling the news?

Take care,
            Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
            Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
            Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Renee,

What can I say, other than I am sorry you have to go through this. I wish you didn't. I hope his won't progress. You have our support throughout all of this. Everything will be okay.
              Melissa
              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Hi Renee,

I'm sorry to hear about your yonger son I can only imagine what you must be going through.

But on the bright side you caught this early enough 20* that you have many options available that your younger son does not neccessarily have to go on to have fusion.

Please know I'm here if you need anything.

Keep us posted.

Amanda
                Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
                Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
                Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
                Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
                26 Degree Post Op Curve
                Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
                YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

Thanks, you guys are all so sweet, your kind and positive words help me keep my spirits up. I feel hopeful that there will be more options open to us and at least I can get a jump on researching. Vince knew he was being checked for scoli but I didn't share the results with him till yesterday. He wasn't surprised, just asked if he was going to have to have surgery like Joe. All I could say was we would do everything to try to avoid it.

Renee

Comment

Big hugs to you, Renee. I kind of know how you feel. Two of my three children have scoliosis (one idiopathic, one congenital). Not an easy concept to wrap your head around (knowing two children need medical attention). However, you'll do fine. I know you will. Keep your chin up and know you have a great start on things. We'll be here to hold your hand and share. Take care and let us know how things go.
                    Carmell
                    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
                    X