Worried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried

hi guys I havent got a date or anything for my op yet I have to have scan and then they will discuss a date.
    I was wondering I know everyone is diff, but roughly how long before you can drive again I have only just passed my test, and want to know if it is worth getting a car or waiting, with the price of insurance... and also whats the pain like after? i just want a rough idea of what to expect and that.

And does anyone know if there is a risk of being paralised from the op, i worry about things like that, i have had quite a few ops but not on my back or anything like this... just worried about it a lot.

Thanks in advance
    Angela
    Angela, 25 England.
    75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
    Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
    Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
    May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Hi Angela,

Your worries are completely normal, but as you will read in other threads, the risk of paralysis is very very very very very low! Of course the worry went through my mind too, but was assured by many people that I need not worry. They monitor your nerves throughout the process and if anything falters, they stop right away and adjust whatever they are doing. This did not happen to me by the way.

As for the pain, it is a rough surgery. I don't think any of us will lie about that. However, I can also assure you that I do not remember the first 5-6 days in the hospital very well. You do have to prepare yourself mentally and physically for this surgery, but most people will say that it was worth it in the end, especially if you are in pain now.

I didn't start driving for 2+ months, but I believe you can start driving after 6 weeks. It will really depend on how you feel.

Best of luck,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
    X