7 months post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 months post op

I am 7 months post op tomorrow and after fighting a staph infection I was finally feeling pretty good. On Saturday morning I woke up with such a bad pain between my shoulder blades more to the right side and my chest ached and now the pain also goes under my right arm. I have had this pain for 6 days now, I thought I over did something or slept the wrong way and the pain would go away in a couple of days, but not even a little better. I can feel the rod in my back sometimes it feels like it's pushing through. I can't get to see my surgeon until 9/20. Does anyone have any comments?

Sue

does it feel like the end of the rod is pushing through?....or a screw?

Comment

Hi Sue

I'm just a little after you, I'll be 7 months post op 14/9. What I will say is I have had a lot more 'weird' feelings in my back these last couple of weeks. Sometimes it's lumbar, shoulders, or between blades. I think the more you do, the more you feel. The weather has a big impact, and how tired I am. I can tell you if it will rain tomorrow! I hope yours is just one of these passing things ...
      48 yr old female. 80° thoracolumber curve. Surgery Feb 14 2007. Fused T3 - L5. Correction to 23°. Happy!

Comment

Sparks42

It feels like the rod, not the end of the rod - the rod itself.

Comment

Mouna

Thanks for your reply. I get weird feelings also in my back, but this I can't ignore, it's to painful. I hope it's from too much activity, hopefully I pulled a muscle or something. I am so worried a rod broke.

Sue

Comment

Hi Suzyjay,

Did you tell your doctor's office about the new pain/feeling? Even if you can't get in until the 20th, seems like they could do an x-ray. That way the dr. would already have it to look at before you come in.

I thought I had pulled something also during my recovery. They had me go in for an x-ray and the dr. called me up with the results without having to see him for an appointment. Luckily it was just muscle strain. Hopefully, yours will be as well.

Deb
            age 48
            posterior surgery 7/24/06
            T5-L5
            for s curve T72, L77
            50% correction
            DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!!

Comment

When I first called the doctor I spoke to an answering service. I was told he was still on vacation until next week and there was nothing they could do, I would have to wait. This morning I just remembered my doctor's office managers name and I asked to speak to her. She told me to come in and get an x-ray and my doctor's associate (Dr. Dryer) would call me tomorrow with the results.

Comment

X-ray results - my hardware is intact. What a relief. Tomorrow I go to get a blood test to rule out that an infection is causing this pain because last time I had bad unexplained pain, I had a staph infection. Two weeks ago I finished my last dosage of IV meds after being on them for three months, so I doubt it is infection already. My doctor said I will have to get monthly blood test for a year to make sure the infection doesn't return.

Thanks
                Sue

Comment

Hi Sue,

I hope that your problem is simple. As different nerves "woke" up in different places, I always got new pains and sensations.

For many months post-op, once I felt up to doing laundry, when I would reach down into the washer to get the cloths out it felt like I had a screw poking me, and it lasted so long that I started to wonder if this was going to be something that I was going to have to deal with forever, and it slowly went away. But every once in a while when I move in a certain way I get it again, just not as bad.

Question your surgeon, until you get some satisfaction that nothing is wrong!!!

Shari

Comment

I had "bursas" form as part of the healing process on my thoracic screws. They can get aggravated(bursitis) with new activities and exercises. I applied "Icy Hot" liniment and it helps along with Tylenol or Aleve when allowed. It does go away--at least in my case. Br. Boachie said it could also be injected with something to help. I'd rather avoid that if other methods work.
                    Screws can be felt through the skin; I feel mine and nothing is wrong.
                    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
                    X