View Full Version : orthopedist would accept non-surgical treatment for large curves in New York

09-05-2007, 06:10 PM
My daughter 11yrs old, was just diagnosed with 54 degrees curved a month ago. She does not have obvious deformation in her body and she is very active in many sports.

I refuse to let her go straight to surgery and looking for non-surgical treatment. We are looking for an orthopedist who would accept non-surgical treatment and monitor my daughter.

Any one can recommend one in NYC or Westchester areas?

Thanks very much.

P.S. We saw a doctor in HSS he said that my daughter needs to have surgery in next 3 months. It is difficult to go back to him.

09-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Good luck to you. I can understand how you feel. When my 11 year old was diagnosed with a 40 degree curve, I didn't want to see anyone who wanted to talk about surgery. But now it is at a 60 and still increasing as we speak. She also has developed a rib hump and we can see the deformity. There is not one orthopedic we have seen now who believes she should not get surgery. We have had two years to get used to the idea. I wish you the best.

09-06-2007, 04:25 AM
Hi Clare (?)

Poor you, it's really scarey isn't it? 11 is very young to have such a big curve, she sounds very similar to my daughter. Imogen's curve was first spotted by her gym coach when she was about 7. We would not have spotted it and even now people are amazed when we tell them as she looks perfectly straight and has wonderful posture. Her curve had progressed to 38 degrees at age 9 and was therefore heading towards something similar to your daughter.

Imogen is wearing the Spinecor brace, we have had to come to terms with the fact that she will need surgery at some point in the future. The brace is being used to hold the curve & keep her spine flexible until she has grown as much as possible. Her consultant has said that he will allow the curve to progress to 70 degrees + so long as the spine remains flexible as he could still get a good correction. He does not want to operate while she is so immature.

I'm sorry that I don't have any answers for you and I'm sure that this is not what you want to hear. Perhaps you could investigate Spinecor? It's not generally used for large curves, but I'm sure our consultant would give it a try - to postpone surgery - if your daughter's spine is still flexible.



09-06-2007, 06:09 AM
to treat or not to treat is a big isseu, the onley thing you can expect is a delay in time for surgery, if the curve doesn't progress. the thing is that this curve is diagnosed with the first visit ( if i am correct?) . it's hard to say what it's going to do, the most doktors will try to wait as long as possible before going to surgery becouse she is still growing. I can onley wisch you the best of luck , your going to need it!