Hospital Appointment today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital Appointment today

hi guys i had a hospital appoinment today at 9am although running an hour behind, when i finally went in and had x-ray and the usual done, he said that my curve alhtough quite bad hasnt got any worse, but if i want i can still have the op to stop it getting worse in furture, i am 20 now, and was wondering what you guys think i should do, should i have the op, i have 2-3months to make up my mind then i have MRI scan and have to say if i want the op or not.

thanks
    Angela
    Angela, 25 England.
    75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
    Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
    Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
    May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

What is your curvature?
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

And when was your last x-ray before this one? I've read that if your curvature is more than 50 degrees when you have stopped growing that it is likely to progress as you age. Mine was in the 40s when I was 19 and is in the 60s now. If your curvature is more than 50, I say get the surgery now--you will heal faster the younger you are.
      Age 33
      40 degree diagnosed 1993; 70ish degree 2007
      Fusion to T9 to L5 October 3, 2007 with Dr. Kurt Von Rueden
      Corrected to 8 degrees

Comment

hi guys well mine at the moment is around 70 last x-ray was back in march and from march till now it hasnt got worse... but they cant say weather it will in years to come I was diagnosed when I was 17 im now 20 when I was diagnosed it was just under 60, so has got worse since then.

Thank you
        Amgela
        Angela, 25 England.
        May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Comment

Dear Angela,

If your curve went from 60 to 70 in just 3 years, that is over 3 degrees per year progression, which is quite a lot. Mine progressed one degree per year and was getting close to 80 degrees by the time I was in my 40's.

I would definitely suggest getting the surgery now before your curve gets any worse as it will begin to do damage to your body as you get older and cause pain and disability. If you have the insurance coverage and can take time out from school or career, now would be the best time to do it before you have a family and you are young enough to heal quickly.

Deb
          age 48
          posterior surgery 7/24/06, T5-L5
          for s curve, T72, L77
          50% correction
          DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!!

Comment

yeah i am thinking about the surgery i have until my scan which I am waiting to hear when that is to make up my mind, the surgeon gave me a while to decide, on what I want to have done, but i think like you said it is only going to get worse so why wait have it while I am young...

Just worried about a few things which I have put in another post.

Angela
            Angela, 25 England.

Comment

Working...
            X