One Year Post op - still in pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Year Post op - still in pain

My daughter is now one year post op and still in pretty much constant painl She is begging me to do something, but her doctor just keeps saying everything looks ok. He also says that kids don't have pain after scoliosis surgery, only adults. She is 17. She has not gone back to school since her surgery one year ago. She has been doing homeshcool. I take that back - she did go back for one week last February and the pain got worse from sitting in the hard plastic chairs. I am at my wits end. Not one hour has gone by since her surgery that she has not come to me and complained of pain, yet her surgeon seems to dismiss it. Her GP has tried puttting her on elavil since she thought it may be nerve pain. It has not helped. She has been taking it since December. She has also tried neurontin, percocet, vicodin, flexeril - nothing helps. Does anyone have any suggestions? Oh, and we have been trying accupuncuture - has not helped either. I know you will say to get another opinion, but I don't know where to go. I am frankly sick of taking her to doctors and getting no help from them. Someone else has to have this same problem

I am so sorry your daughter is having this pain. I really hope you can figure out why it's there & how to cure it. I've definitely heard of great docs in Michigan on this forum. If you do a search &/or read lots of posts about doctors in the locations you're near, you'll find someone to see for a 2nd opinion. I'd definitely get at least one more opinion & keep seeking answers.

Good luck,
    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

She says it feels like "Ice picks poking at her from the inside" has anyone else had this?

Comment

Pain 1 year post-op in an adolescent?

Check and see if her symptoms match any of the people posting on the link below from the forum to rule out reflex sympathetic dystrophy which has specific therapies.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/searc...earchid=688425
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

HTML Code:
          He also says that kids don't have pain after scoliosis surgery, only adults.
          That's quite a leap of faith, isn't it?

LAL, I sent you a private message. I'm in Michigan.
          trulyaries
          FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
          10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
          8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
          5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
          2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
          3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Working...
          X