2 Weeks to go...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Weeks to go...

Hi all. It's been a while since I've been here. It's been a crazy couple of months. I had my pre-op tests done on 8/20 and they found a mass on my liver. Fortunately, after additional tests it turned out to be a benign tumor (hemangioma), but very scary and upsetting nonetheless. I was very impressed because Dr. Boachie called me himself at 10:30 p.m. to tell me the news.

It's a little over 2 weeks to go before my surgery. I feel like I have so much to do to prepare....so I am a bit overwhelmed. I'm doing okay though...surprisingly. I'll probably be a wreck the day before though!

Overall, I have a good feeling and I think I'll do just fine.

Just wanted to check-in!

Mish
    MishP
    38 y/o
    Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 6 - Bracing didn't help
    Brace off at age 12
    Saw Chiropractor/massage therapist
    Pre-op
    Upper Curve - 115 degrees
    Lower Curve - 85 degrees
    9/18/07 Anterior/posterior surgery w/Dr. Boachie-Adjei
    Fused T2-L3
    Not sure of post-op correction

Mish,

How frightening to have encountered this liver issue, especially now. I am so glad it turned out fine. I cannot imagine very many surgeons who would call a patient at 10:30 at night - Dr. B. surely is in a league of his own.

I am 11 weeks behind you and I've been keeping really busy and so far I haven't been too stressed. I think a lot has to do with the fact that I feel so good about Dr. B.

Are you going to rehab after discharge from the hospital? What kind of help will you have once you get home?

You are in excellent hands and I am sure you will do fine.

Wishing you a successful outcome and easy recovery.

Janet
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Hi Mish,

It seems you have had added stress to your upcoming surgery, and I can't even imagine how much extra stress that has created for you!!! My heart goes out to you!!!

I completely understand the idea of feeling that you should be preparing for the upcoming surgery, I did it. But if I had to do it all over again, I would have done something fun, something I really enjoyed, because it's going to be a while before you will be able to do these things.

I have read so many post where others had fun prior to the surgery, and I feel I really think I made a mistake by working up until 10 days before, and then spent that time "nesting".

If you're able to, go have some fun!!! Yor deserve it, and you won't regret it!!!
      I regret that I didn't!!!

Just a thought, one that I learned from this forum,
      Shari
      Last edited by Shari; 09-04-2007, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Mish,
        I wish your all the best for your surgery & a smooth recovery. I'll be thinking of you, Lynne

Comment

Hi Mish! Sorry about your health scare, but I'm so glad all is okay.

I have found that most people get calm right before the surgery -- I think it's nature's way of preparing us for doing what we know we have to do. As others said, you are in excellent hands and will get the best outcome possible with Dr. B. Do you have someone to stay with you the whole time you are in the hospital? It makes things much more pleasant.

All best wishes,
          Chris
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I'll be thinking about you and wishing you well as you prepare and undergo surgery. I had a sense of calmness the day before surgery (similar to what others have said). The best thing I did for myself was to do something fun and go out to dinner with friends the night before. We didn't talk about surgery all night, but had a great time. Treat yourself to something nice - especially after all you have gone through!

Best,
            Anya
            "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
            Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
            19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Mish-
              Just want you to know I will be thinking of you! If you recall I had surgery last Dec. with Dr. Boachie. You are in great hands. Please keep us posted!!
              Cathie

Comment

Hi Mish

Though this is the first time I've replied to any of your threads, I feel as if I know you. Without giving you a long story, I was a phone call away from getting your surgery date w/Dr. Boachie. I'm going in on Sept 25th with him. I called my husband to discuss several dates Lindy had given me, we chose 9/18 and when I called Lindy back, she informed me that the date had already been taken, so I picked the 25th. You can imagine how i chuckled when I saw your posting. My curve is not as intense as yours, 52/45. But I wanted you to know that I will be thinking of you and listening to my guided imagery tapes in hopes that my positive thoughts reach you, though with Dr. Boac hie at the helm, we all know you're in the best of hands. Once you're home and if and when you feel up to it, you can send me a PM or post on this sight and we can talk about how are recoveries are doing. Again, I feel like I'm feeling what you're feeling because I'm only a week behind you. My prayers and thoughts are with you. Carmen PS I'm 59 y/o.

Comment

Best wishes Mish and Carmen-

How neat that you made that connection on the surgery dates! Keep up with us and let us know how you do, and I know you will find the love and support to get through it. Lisa
                  Lisa age 47
                  T curve 69 degrees
                  L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                  fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                  anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                  pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

thanks

thanks Lisa for your kind words and thoughts. I'll bet Mish is calm now. I think that just before your surgery the mind takes the body to a peaceful, serene place and hopefully it will carry right through to surgery! Thanks again Carmen

Comment

I felt that way. I was real good ( as good under the circumstances) and at peace with my decision by 2 weeks to go. I was really ok the night before & actually did sleep pretty good. The only thing that made me nervous was since we stayed right across from the hospital, that afternoon before, I kept seeing doctor's in their scrubs & it got me nervous & I had to look away!!!!!!! Ly

Comment

Thinking about you Mish!

Comment

Sent you a PM

Carmeg, I sent you a private message.... Lynn
                          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                          2000 Partial Rod Removal
                          2001 Right Scapular Resection
                          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
                          X