swimming-very painful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swimming-very painful?

I was in to see my doctor for a three month checkup and all looked well. He encouraged me to start swimming. So, I took him up the idea of swimming only to discover how painful swimming is. After a very short swim, I was in MAJOR pain for three days. The thing is I really did not even swim, I more or less floated around.

Has anyone else had this problem or gone for swim therapy?

Kari
    fused May 14, 2007 T-3 - L-4

Hi Kari
    I'm almost 5 weeks post op and my dr recommended aquatic therapy as well.
    Although he didn't recommend swimming. He recommend that I walk in the pool. The water provides boyancy and resistance. I have been walking laps around my pool for at least 30 minutes a day and have noticed a huge improvement in my strength, posture, and energy level.
    I did try to swim once out of my own curiosity and immediately realized it wasn't going to happen. Maybe the walking would be more beneficial until your pain level is down and your strength is up.
    Hope this helps!
    Lindsey
    T-12 to L-3 posterior fusion
    Surgery July 30, 2007
    Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

Comment

I didn't swim but at three months post op, but I could not have done any swimming/floating. I was exhausted and in pain after standing or walking for more than an hour. Maybe you need more time to heal before trying to swim again. Some doctors expect us to bounce back so quickly after this major surgery. Feel better.

Sue

Comment

I'm always amazed that we all get different information in regards to what's best for us. Who really knows, is it the the Doctors, the therapists or is it our own bodies!!! Listen to your body.

Of course, this is only my opinion, but I have found that most of the medical professionals that we encounter after our surgeries are not exactly educated with our condition. I mean no disrepect to them, it's just seems to be such a extreme surgery that not all physical therapists are educated enough to know how to deal with us.

Water therapy is a good thing as far a rebuilding our strength through walking through the water and other strenght encouraging excercises, but I just can't imagine that making us swim so soon after surgery is such a good idea.

Again, just my opinion,
        Shari

Comment

I just tried swimming recently & I am one year post-op & 47.... it still was hard for me but I gradually am feeling better at it...
          I still mostly walk in the water for now!!! Ly

Comment

I used to be a very competitive swimmer and now find swimming incredibly painful at 3 months post-op. I can't seem to get the bottom half of my body up to float. I have found walking laps in water helpful though (like others have said).

Best,
            Anya
            "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
            Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
            19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Alexander's surgeon said he could start some gentle swimming @ his 3 week post-op appt. - only front or back crawl, kickboard & walking in the pool, no flip turns or playing in the water. He went in a pool about a week later & didn't like it at all. He was a great swimmer before the surgery but couldn't float well & felt cold & miserable; he stayed in less than 5 minutes. A couple of weeks later, he tried a warmer, deeper pool area & felt a little more comfortable, mostly walked around & did some swimming but didn't rush out. Less than a week later, he did the same thing. We will do it again soon but he's not enthusiastic about it yet. He finds that when his back gets achy, a long walk really helps to take away any pain. He is getting really bummed out about not being able to run around with his friends & do any active activities with them. We can't wait for school to start...
              Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
              Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
              Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Inflammation from aqua classes

I also tried aqua therapy classes at 6 months post-op and the arm movements--raising arms up and down, using foam water weights, etc. were way too much for me. I developed inflammation in my shoulder area and at the top of my rods (T5) and had to take anti-inflammatories and go to physical therapy to get it worked out.

I would recommend that after this surgery a person take it very easy and gradual, maybe doing some gentle swim stroke movements at home for a few days to find out how much you will be able to do without irritation before you go into the water and overdo. Then start out with the water walking as has been suggested and add arm movements gradually.

At one year post-op, I am still only comfortable floating on my back and taking a few back-strokes, nothing lying in a forward position.

Deb
                age 48
                posterior surgery 7/24/06
                T5-L5 for s curves T72, L77
                50% correction
                DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!

Comment

I agree Deb,
                  I felt like a thing of cement when I first went into the water & that's at a year post-op. I also could only do floating on the back, no front. I just tried sleeping on my stomach last night & had to turn over to my back. It still feels uncomfortable & strange to me.....anyone else????
                  Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 09-02-2007, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the input regarding swimming. I was happy to hear others have had the same issues. I use to swim all the time in high school, long ago, so not being able to swim now is a bit depressing. In time, I am hoping it will get better. The healing process for this surgery sure takes time and it is hard to be patient!

The idea of walking in the water makes sense.

It is amazing how many doctors are recommending swim therapy and do not appear to realize how painful it is for post-scoli patients. I see my doctor in a few weeks, I'll be talking about this.

Thanks again!
                    Kari

Comment

I know that my daughter's dr. did not recommend swimming after her surgery. He said she could go in the water, but no actual swimming, no movement of raising the arms over the head. She was nervous with other kids in the water and felt uncomfortable. It took two years for her to finally feel confident in the water again.
                      Sometimes it's hard to wait to get back to everyday tasks, but giving your body healing time will make all the difference in the future.
                      Emily

Comment

I'm 3-1/2 months post. I'm really not interested in swimming (I have a mild water phobia ). My doc wants me to just walk-walk, but I'm still having trouble doing that. My legs are weak and sore from all this lying around, and my low back starts to ache fairly quickly. After my first surgery I had water therapy with a PT so I have decided to try it again. I have an Aquajogger "buoyancy belt" (helps the phobia ) and foam dumbbells, which I tried out last week, VERY gently doing the exercises the PT gave me way back when. It felt WONDERFUL to take the pressure off my low back. So I'm going to give it a try - in fact, I'm heading there as soon as I post this. I really feel I need to build up my strength, and this might be the thing to do it until I can walk better. I agree with earlier posts - if trying to swim is bothering you, why not try gentle water exercise first?
                        Trulyaries
                        P.S. I believe you can find Aquajogger supplies online. Do a search.
                        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

I had trouble swimming too. I felt like i was having to bow backwards to even stay horizontal. but using the foam 'weights' to just hang vertically in the water relieving all the pressure on my back felt sooooooooo good!

Comment

Lynne -
                            Re sleeping on your stomach: After my first surgery, my docs told me to forget about sleeping on my stomach ever again. Sides, yes, back, yes, but no stomach. Too much stress on the back. Ever since then, if I have to lay on my stomach, like for a medical test, I have to have a pillow underneath and I can't stay that way for very long. They sometimes have to give me a break if the test is taking too long. It also takes me quite awhile after my surgeries before I can lie on my sides for more than a minute or two. Side sleep is my favorite position, and it irritates me that I can't do it yet.
                            Trulyaries
                            FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                            10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                            8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                            5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                            2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                            3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Trulyaries

I am going on 7 months post op. It took me a while before I could lay on my side. I was able to roll the my left side but could only stay that for a little while before it would become to painful. I tried lying on my side a little bit at a time ( first time 5 mins, a week later I extended to 10) now I can sleep on my left side only, I am going to do my right side now. After lying on your side you may have hip pain when get up and walk.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                              X