View Full Version : 5 year old in IL

Kim H
08-31-2007, 08:28 AM
My 5 year old boy has just been diagnosed with scoliosis 21 degrees ,thoratic @ t9 and t1o. Iam looking for any docters name who specialize in this age in IL. Also should I be concerned that there is something underlying that is causing this and some other kind of docter should be seen other then a pedeatric ortho? I am also looking for any info about this with children this young?( sorry about the spelling)

08-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Hi Kim,

If you're close to Chicago, I've heard great reports about Dr. John Sarwark who specializes in juvenile and infantile scoliosis at Children's Memorial Hospital.


08-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Hi Kim,

Whatever pediatric orthopedist you choose should send your son to get an MRI to rule out any other underlying conditions that may be causing the scoliosis.

Unfortunately I do not have any experiences with doctors in your area but I do highly recommend Shriners Hospital for Children they are orthopedic specialists ~ we are from Texas but travel to Shriners in Philadelphia. All of the physicians there are amazingly wonderful and leaders in the field of treating scoliosis. I've attached a link to their website for you.

I hope this helps ~ good luck and keep us posted.


08-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Hi Kim,

Ditto to what Amanda said about the MRI. Any good pediatric ortho will order one in a child diagnosed so young, so don't be alarmed by it - it's just routine - sometimes there is an underlying cause (which can often be corrected) and sometimes there is not.

We, too, travel from NY to Philadelphia to the Shriners Hospital there. But if you want to stay in IL, Dr. Sturm of Shriners Hospital in Chicago is one of the best AND he treats a lot of very young children like your son - I believe he is also the chief of staff there. If you need help with the process (application, etc.), or have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me or post them here - whichever you prefer. The application process is a simple one - and contrary to what is sometimes the impression, you do NOT need anyone to sponsor you or anything like that. You just send the application (which can be downloaded from the website) and if your child is under 18 and has an orthopedic problem, they will be accepted for treatment. Your son obviously meets both criteria.

Good luck,

Kim H
08-31-2007, 09:50 PM
Thank you for all the information so far.

Kim H