No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    I am new to the forum, and I look forward to exchanging information with others who have had scoliosis surgery. I had surgery on March 16 of this year. I had a double curve and was fused from T4 to the sacrum. The first three months were horrible, but I do better and better as time goes on. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with sciatica pain. About six weeks following surgery I began experiencing extreme sciatica pain on my left side. I did not have this pain prior to the surgery. My surgeon has given me two injections which relieved the pain for a short period of time. He also performed a myelogram which showed that all the hardware was in place. Has anybody experienced similar problems, and does the sciatica pain improve with time? Overall, I work hard to keep a positive attitude, and I do feel good about having a straight back. I am planning to go back to work in December, and I am hoping that my sciatica is improved by then.
    Any feedback as to what my expectations should be is greatly appreciated.
    Penny

I don't have any helpful feedback on sciatica pain, but I just wanted to say welcome to the forum.

Best,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

hello, Penny !

there are a lot of members with varying degrees of sciatic problems to help you-Congratulations on your good surgical outcome and attitude ! I don't have much solid advice to offer as I have only been back once post-op and that's too soon to know much of anything. There are a lot of posts on leg pain that you might look at on the search feature on this page. hang in there ! Lisa
      Lisa age 47
      T curve 69 degrees
      L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
      fused to from T-3 to sacrum
      anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
      pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Welcome Penny

A few weeks after surgery I had bad pain in my right leg and hip for a couple of weeks. A heating pad helped a little with the pain. If it doesn't get better or gets worse insist on a a blood test to rule out infection.

Sue

Comment

Penny-Hi
          I believe that Deb(cakedec) on this forum had what you are experiencing. Perhaps she will be on shortly..Lynne

Comment

sciatic pain while healing

I had that at times during the months of recovery it went away. What helps with these crazy pains are the OTC patches like "Icy Hot". They actually have a scientific basis for helping. Just do not put them over an incision which is still healing.
            Last edited by Karen Ocker; 09-01-2007, 04:30 PM. Reason: misspellings
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Penny,

I too want to welcome you to this forum!!! Your experience, input and outcome will be greatly appreciated by many!!!

I had so many different pains post surgery, and was always told by my Doctor to give it some time, and I had the faith. I had so many different pains come and then go, but none of them were without concern!!!

Of course, I'm no expert, only someone that has gone through it.

I gave each new pain a certain amount of time before I would panic with worry. It's so hard to accept and realize that what we have just gone through, can cause so many different kinds of pain.

I hope you know that this forum will give you the support, comfort and first hand knowledge that you may need!!! Not that we all have the same complications, but we all understand them!!!

Shari

Comment

Try a heating pad or soak in a hot bath for the pain.
                T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
                X