PDA

View Full Version : Spinecor to postpone surgery



sldrozd
08-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Hello all,
I am a new member to the forum and find the sharing of information awesome. My daughter Kayleigh (15) has recently been diagnosed with severe Scoliosis with a thoracic curve of 72 degrees. The severity came as quite a shock to her mother and I since the doctors in previous visits (physicals and such) said we will "keep an eye on it, we might want to x-ray it" but never took it further. I was uneducated about the condition and had no idea it would turn into this. My wife and I feel awful and I guess we should for not being more proactive. We will have to live with that. Meanwhile we are trying to do the best thing for our daughter. The Orthopedist recommends surgery and we meet with a surgeon this friday (Dr. Kessler) and another on monday (Dr. Bernstein at Cedars-Sinai in LA). I spoke with Dr. Deutchman at Spinecor and he recommended that we visit him in San Fran at the end of September. He suggested that if the curve is stable, there is no rush to do the surgery and that the brace may help provide some reduction (5-10 degrees) until then. We are hoping to at least push off the surgery until the summer of 08. My daughter does not want to miss so much school as to be held back and she is in no pain. I believe she is still growing (does this mean curve progression??) I don't know what her Risser number is yet. Will find out on Friday. Her MRI came back (As i interpret the report) good, no neurological damage (spinal cord normal), only the scoliosis

Anybody have any experience with the spinecor at such a large curve (Dr. Deutchman said they have people in the brace with worse curves). Is there any hope to bring it down to where surgery is not required??? (wishful thinking?)

We will see what the surgeons say.

Thanks

Stephen

redhouseshelly
08-29-2007, 09:10 PM
hello,
my scoliosis is 36 bottom &32 top. i'm sorry to hear this about your daughter.; mine popped up within 1 month.
yours truly, ashley ;) :D :) :cool:

MATJESNIC
08-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Stephen,

I suggest you make a call to Montreal and speak with the inventors of the brace. I would hate to see you waste time and money on something that will be of no use. I would trust their opinions. They would have no reason to mislead you. I understand what you are going through. I never thought we could accept surgery for our daughter. I wish you the best of luck.

sldrozd
08-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts and advice. Melissa, my family's prayers will be with you and your family on the 12th.

Stephen

leigh9p
09-01-2007, 01:53 AM
I'm so sorry about your daughter's diagnosis. I'd love to hear what you thought of Dr. Duetchman? Is he really in San Fran? We are also considering the Spincor brace. I read up on him and it sounds as though he was trained by the two Drs. in Montreal.

sldrozd
09-05-2007, 12:18 PM
I spoke with Dr. Deutchman over the phone, he seemed very nice and if your curve is in the bracing range "less than 40 degrees" I would definitley consider them. He is not in San fran full time, he lives in New york but they travel to sattelite offices around the US to treat people all over. (he is in San Fran end of September and then in Ontario California in October. I suggest you call him directly, he was very easy to talk to.
We spoke with a surgeon on friday, he did not believe the brace would be adequate for my daughters severe curve and that we should do the surgery within the next few months so I think we will forego the meeting in San Fran. Based on what I can see, there is no alternative to surgery. The surgeon eased our minds a little about the surgery, we are getting some references from some of his recent patients.

braceguy76
09-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Your decision was very wise. Majestic is absolutely correct. I wish I could tell you more, but Dr. D. Witt threaten to sue me!