Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemivertebrae Surgery- options?

Hi all, I am new to this forum- although not new to scoliosis
    I am heading to Cleveland Clinic for an evaluation soon (I hope- insurance okay is pending) and I am a little nervous. I am a 30 yo Female with an L5 hemivertebrae with a greater than 90 degree lumbar curve and a compensatory thoracic curve that is almost as great and a significant rotary component(providing me with one hip and a FABULOUS rib hump). I haven't seen any posts that have a situation similar to mine- so I am wondering what I might expect. I have also not yet met a surgeon that is willing to talk about any kind of correction- so I don't know my options!! I've been happily pursuing the "do nothing" option all my life, but I am getting mineralized discs and some degenerative joint disease. I am also curious about people's lay up time after surgery.

My situation was very similar to yours- a 100 deg curve, a 70 something curve, and severe kyphosis as well. I am 46 and just had surgery last December with Dr. Boachie. He was the only one who would tell me with confidence that he could offer some degree of correction. As it turns out my curve was very rigid (you are much younger and that makes a huge difference) but he was able to get the 100 deg curve down to 75 or so and the kyphosis (which caused the rib hump) is fixed completely so I am thrilled! You cannot tell I have a curve at all now. The rib hump is completely gone. Feel free to private message me if you want any more info!
    Cathie

Comment

I have two hemiveterbrae and plan on asking my dr how he'd proceed with surgery if he was to do them now..

I want to know b/c I don't think much correction can be achieved if the hemivetebrae are left alone..
      Last edited by green m&m; 08-30-2007, 10:00 PM.
      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
      2005 - T50, L31
      bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
      2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
      Post - op curve ~35

Comment

My son recently had surgery for progressing congenital scoliosis caused by a hemivertebrae @ T10. We were told that excision of the hemi was too dangerous & that he would only get moderate correction from the spinal fusion because of the hemi. He ended up getting fairly good correction in my opinion. His lumbar curve, which was around 60 degrees, was lowered to about 34 degrees & his thoracic curve went from around 45 degrees to about 31 degrees. So his spine was balanced out & his back looks much better. It's been about a month & a half & he has only rare pain, walks 2-4 miles a day & can't wait for all his restrictions to be lifted so he can run around with his friends. His posture isn't great yet but we are hoping to get some physical therapy soon for his (still) uneven shoulders & his rounding of his shoulders.

I hope you can find a surgeon to offer you a good surgical option with some amount of correction. You are still so young, Pathvet, & you deserve some relief from such a large curve & all its implications. My son seems more confident since his surgery & relieved about being straighter.

Good luck with your decisions, all of you.
        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Welcome to this forum, and I hope you find as much comfort and information that I have.

I can't answer all your questions, but I had my surgies at the Cleveland Clinic.

Who is your Doctor???

I had 5 discs, a rib and some hip removed through the ant. part of my surgery and then 6 days later, was fused from T-1 to L-5, in the post. part of my surgery.

I don't know if my situation can help you in any way, but my rib hump is gone and my back looks very straight to everyone. Of course, I see the little imperfections, but I am so pleased with my outcome!!!

Feel free to ask questions, if you feel I can be of any help,
          Shari

Comment

thanks-

Thank you for your helpful responses. I will see Dr. Mclain- as soon as my insurance company agrees to allow it.

I am so worried about time to return to function. I know that every surgery is different and every patient is different but how long, in general- did return to some sort of function take for people with long fusions.

Do any of you ride horses? I am an avid horsebackrider now- but I think that I will have to give it up permanently post fusion. It would be way too much torque right?

Comment

Riding

Pathvet-
              I also own horses and am 9 months post op now. (See my previous post about my surgery) My doctor told me no riding for one year - at that point believe me I WILL ride! I think the main thing is to make sure you don't fall off- I am going to be sure not to ride young, spooky horses any more just to be safe. I am concerned about how well I will ride since my fusion is to the sacrum and obviously can't bend the small of my back. It will take a very smooth horse to accomodate me but that is ok- I may sell some that I have and go buy the "perfect" horse. Feel free to PM me if you want to keep in touch- I will let you know how it goes when I am back to riding again-
              Cathie

Comment

Hi Pathvet,

I have a hemi-vertebra or transitional vertebra at L-6 or S-1 (depends which dr you talk with). My last surgery this past May the doctor included that vertebra into my fusion. So I am now fused from T-2 to S-2.
                Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                Fused T2 to sacrum
                June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Pathvet,

One of my sister's had gotten a horse about 5 months ago. He's one that was trained for handicapped children. He's very gentle and calm. I have ridden him at a walk, and it was just fine for me. I never ran him, but at a trot I had to get up on my legs. I couldn't take the contact.

But we are all different, and I guess I just don't want to do anything to compromise my fusion. I'm T-1 to L-5 and I know that those unfused vertebrae are fragile, and I am very aware of added extra strain in that area.

Your body will let you know what you can and can't do. But is never hurts to try!!!

Shari

Comment

After my original fusion in 98 (T3-L5), I took one year off showing horses and then got right back on and I show Saddlebreds.

Comment

Working...
                    X