Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning in lower back

Hi everyone,

I'm 14 weeks post op and the last several days my lower back and hip are just burning. Laying down sometimes makes it worse. I don't have the energy to stay up for more than two hours without laying down but i'm worried I could make things worse by laying down. Has anyone else had this, I looked at old threads and see alot of people had burning between the shoulder blades but don't see alot about the lower back. Several weeks ago I had this same problem but it would come and go fairly quickly, now it seems to last all day. Any advice????
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Did they use your own bone or donor bone for your fusion. I had bad hip pain because they used bone from my hip. Try using a heating pad for relief from you pain. When I have a lot of low back pain, it is from irritation to the nerves down there and scar tissue pressing on the area.
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hi Patty,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing such discomfort. You are a little further along in recovery than I am. I am 9 weeks post op from my stage two. I've also had discomfort between the shoulder blades and now it is lower in the middle and waist areas of my back. Are you wearing a brace when you are up and about? If you are, is the fit of it appropriately supportive? Is the timing of your pain medication right for you? If you have not already called your surgeon's office to see what they think about this, it might be time to give them a call both to put your mind at ease and to get a professional assessment. In my case, I have found ice packs are an effective way to get some relief and cool off at the same time! However, as Rainbow 2010 suggested, a heating pad might work more effectively for you.

Good Luck!
      Linda W.
      Linda
      Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
      S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
      Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
      Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Working...
      X