Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embrace the positive! 1 1/2 yrs. out

Hello all my forum friends and newbies,

I just hit my 1 1/2 year mark 2 days ago and was so busy I didn't post!
    I have been ignoring the fact I had surgery and going about my life full speed ahead. Some days I over do it and am a bit sore in the evening. For the most part finally sitting down and relaxing with a cocktail will do the trick. Once in awhile I need a pain reliever and 1 dose of ibuprofen does the trick. I went dancing in 4" heels last Fri. and believe it or not my feet gave out before my back! (Got a blister. ) Changed shoes and continued on for a bit longer.......

I must say through my journey before and after surgery I have tried to look at all the positives. I read back on my threads I posted at different times in my recovery and am amazed by how far I have come. Granted I feel I was very lucky in only needing 7 vertebrae fused and believe that had a lot to do with my great outcome.

To those of you at your 1 year mark, believe it or not you still will get even better. I can't believe how much I have changed in the last 6 months. And those of you just beginning your long, slow, frustrating and wondering if it was worth it recovery. Trust me it is! Check out my old posts. I really only know of one woman who wished she hadn't done her surgery. She had it done many years ago. I found out later she loves to focus on every negative and does it for attention at support groups.

I am always so glad to see the positive posts come up. There needs to be more focus on how great everyone is doing. Sure I know we need to vent about our difficulties and ask who else is going through the same thing. But, how about throwing in a "by the way this is doing better" comment along with it? Chris is a perfect example of this. She is going through a leg problem yes. BUT, her cute figure starting to emerge! Yea Chris! That was so refreshing to read. I remember all the negativity when I first got on this forum, it isn't quite as bad as it was. It scared the crap out of me. I have come to realise that there is a lot of good going on that isn't mentioned quite as much.

To you new to the forum especially you younger ones, (This is anyone younger then me.) just keep reading and you will see we all recover differently. We recover! We get our lives back and have one awesome scar to show off and be proud that we won the fight! I feel like trumpets should be playing in the background as I type this out! LOL! I could go on but this is long enough.

My new motto: Embrace the positive. You can have it as yours too. Best wishes.

Surgery 2/22/06 @ 43yrs. 49* lumbar now 8* T10 - L4
    Last edited by Suzy; 08-24-2007, 07:32 PM.

Hi Suzy,

What a wonderful, inspiring and encouraging post you have just written!!!

I hope you know how much good your words will do for so many people!!!

And congtratulations on a great recovery and such a great attitude.

All my respect,
    Shari

Comment

THanks for the encouraging post.

Thanks from those of us at one-year post op and still feeling not quite where we hope to be!! We do need to feel that things will continue improving over the next year. I know that Karen Ocker on here has said that it is really a 2-year recovery (especially for middle age adults) so that keeps me going when I have set-backs and new pains and end back at physical therapy, like I am now.

When people ask me if it was worth it, definitely yes!! I am so much better than 6 months post-op and your post is so encouraging that 6 months from now will be even better!!

Deb
      age 48
      posterior surgery 7/24/06
      for S curve T72, L77
      T5-L5
      50% correction
      DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!

Comment

4 Inch heels!!!!!!!

Gosh, Suzy, i couldn't' do that before surgery I had to give that up in the disco days. Keep up the good living and thanks for reminding us that LIFE is the reason we had the surgery to start with. And dance a few rounds for me, while you're at it........ Lisa
        Lisa age 47
        T curve 69 degrees
        L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
        fused to from T-3 to sacrum
        anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
        pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Positive vibes!!!!

Suzy,
          you are a real inspiration to me & others recovering a bit behind you!!!
          When I was originally told it would be a 6mth to a year recovery, I thought, gee, I'll be back to normal by about 6 mths ....wrong!!! wishful thinking on my part which set me up for disappointment & depression. Now I'm a little past a year & feel way better. It is easy to forget from where we came. I just last night opened my medicine cabinet & smiled when I saw several bottles of Tums of all colors & flavors. I needed them so desperately before surgery, all hours of the day. I could'nt go out with friends due to my horrible coughing on eating. My whole digestive system was screwed up. I was a mess! Since my surgery, I have never taken a tums again & I never have a cough anymore! My back looks great, per my sisters & mom & husband. I still have numbness & stiffness though and can certainly feel the rainey days coming on, aches & pains come & go..all in all, I'm feeling good!
          As Suzy says, stay positive & look at where you started out in recovery & where you are now. And she's right, we all have one awesome scar, that's for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lynne
          ps....I'm a bit leary of wearing the 4inch heels, Suzy!!!

http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com (the old blog)
          fused T11 to L5 Dr. Boachie/ Dr. Kim at HSS in NYCity
          95 curve to 60
          Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 08-26-2007, 08:04 PM.

Comment

This is a great thread for many reasons!!! Not only is it positive and encouraging, but it's real.

Even though I was in a lot of pain post-op, that was expected. My darkest days came from the frustration and disappointment of my healing process.

Being strong and independent people, which I think scoliosis forces us to be,
            we have certain goals and expectations, and when we fall short of them, even if it's only in our own minds, it is very depressing. But there is no shame in that. It's part of the healing process too.

Shari

Comment

great post!!!!!

Comment

Thank you so much for such an inspirational post. I am only a few weeks away from my surgery and it helps so much to read all the positive feedback. I only hope I can continue to look at the positive throughout this process and know that maybe down the road I will be dancing in 4" heels too!
                CarolS
                68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
                Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
                Osteotomy March 20,2008
                Thrilled with results!

Comment

how Awesome!!

This is REALLY a great post...
                  My surgery was 04/04/07 !!
                  I am not quite 5 months yet...
                  Prior to surgery I was always in pain and could barely walk ... it was getting worse every year.... my legs and arms would stay so cramped... it was horrible.. then there were the headaches, the nausea... being out of breath all the time!!! (amongst many other ailments.... )
                  The visit yesterday went very well... I am still sore when I try to do too much or when the weather is turning..... This post is good news to me..
                  to think that I am going to get even "more" better!!
                  I am now 42 years old and my only regret is that I did not have this done sooner...
                  For the first few months I really doubted my sanity for having this done
                  but no longer... I am so pleased with all the progress..
                  only negative thing dr said yesterday was that I was trying to do too much BLT (bending, lifting and twisting) and that I need to "slow down a litlle"
                  Budy I Have been slowed down for at least 8 years.... I am on a roll...
                  Thank You....
                  You all are great and I hope things continue to go well
                  Paula
                  Me: almost 43 .........
                  scoli since age 6.. milwaukee brace 10 years
                  surgery 04/04/2007 ...
                  13 verterbrae w/ rib recession ...
                  1 year post op.. feeling MUCH better.. still rib and shoulder paid but no back pain!!

Comment

Thank you for the reaffirmation!

Dear Suzy,

It was so good to read your positive and upbeat report of progress. Congratulations on the success of your surgery, being so strong and also so generous and caring to sharing your update.

There is a sizeable group of us who had surgery at the beginning of this summer and are just hitting our two or three month anniversaries. Speaking personally, it is easy to be depressed by the pain, frustration, limitations, lack of restful sleep, anxiety, etc. that so frequently are part of the early recovery process. From reading some of the posts of my peer group, I think most of us have had excellent corrections and are looking forward to being over the speed bumps and feeling better so we can celebrate our successful outcomes too. I'm 57 years old. My A/P surgeries resulted in a height restoration of 3 inches so I am again taller than my 12 year old son! -- at least for the next year. I'm anxiously looking forward to my 6, 12 and 18 month milestones and hope to have as positive a report as yours.

Thank you!
                    Linda W.
                    Linda
                    Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                    S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                    Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                    Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Working...
                    X