Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Month Check Up...

Hey Guys,

Just letting you know i went to see my surgeon today with my recent x-rays that were done last week.

Just wanted to let everyone know that before surgery my curves were Thoracic 62 degrees and Lumbar 50 degrees. On todays x-rays my curves are now 24 Thoracic and 21 degrees lumbar. I am so pleased with what he has done and he also is really happy as he did say before my surgery that he would only be able to get my top curve to 40 degrees cos i have congenitial malformations in the thoracic part. But all looks good and i don't have to see him again till the end of November.....

Lee
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Great news! I just had my 3-month check also, and my news was good too. I can now drive for short distances, he made my brace lighter, and I can take Motrin, which helps me way more than Tylenol. I still have more pain than I would like, especially when I have been on my feet for too long and I start bending over like I did pre-surgery.
    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Congrats to both LEELEE and TRULY. It sounds like you have both made some remarkable strides in your recoveries.

LEELEE- that is great that you were able to get even better results than your surgeon had predicted.

TRULY- What type of brace do you have to wear. I have heard of people wearing braces afterr surgery. How long do you have to wear yours?

Good job to the both of you!!!

-Christine
      Surgery completed July, 2007
      Fused from T4-T12
      23years old

Comment

Christine -
        The brace I am wearing fits around my middle and in back toward my buttocks. Have you see people who work in stores like Home Depot or Lowes wearing those black back supports? Mine looks similar, except that it had a hard plastic piece in front that fit over my belly and a larger one in back. I wore it that way for the first three months, and now my doc removed the two big plastic pieces which was a BIG relief. He also told me that now I don't have to wear it around the house - my choice. This is my third surgery but the first time with a brace (different surgeon also). My doc admits it is a matter of personal preference among surgeons. I believe its main function is to provide additional support, which it does. I imagine I will eventually wean off of it in the next three months.
        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Truly,

Thanks for that information. It sounds like it would be helpful. I remember when I first sat up in the hospital, and days afterwards, I felt like a puppet that could just topple over. I bet a brace helps a whole lot with support.
          -Christine
          Surgery completed July, 2007
          Fused from T4-T12
          23years old

Comment

Working...
          X