post surgery questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post surgery questions

Hello to everyone. I am new to this forum and so greatful to have found it. I just recently had surgery on July 10th and have a few questions that some of you might be able to answer.

It has been drilled into my head not to bend, twist or lift things above 10 pounds. I am following doctors orders but sometimes wonder how I will ever reach things lower to the ground if I can't bend. Does anyone know when I might be given the "ok" to start bending and twisting?

Hope everyone continues to heal well!!!
    -Christine
    Last edited by Christine84; 09-27-2007, 06:49 PM.
    Surgery completed July, 2007
    Fused from T4-T12
    23years old

Hi Christine...

The usual number for an adult is 4-6 mos. postup for beginning to bend. It depends, however, on how low your fusion goes. It's something you should definitely discuss with your surgeon.

Many surgeons can get significant reduction of the rib hump during regular scoliosis surgery. Your surgeon may use a different technique, or they may be some technical reason why you didn't get a reduction. The procedure to reduce a rib hump in a separate surgery is a thoracoplasty.'

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

After my surgery, I was still odd shaped and had humps and curves and stuff....that actually worked itself out on its own! Took maybe 6 months to look "perfect"

Comment

LindaRacine- Thank you for the helpful information. My fusion was from T4-T12. There was a reduction in my rib hump, but I was hoping it would go away completely. I was going to ask my surgeon about the hump but I didn't want him to think I was superficial and only worried about my appearance.

Sparks42- That is so good to know. Maybe I just have to wait for swelling to go down. I sometimes get too caught up worrying about how my back looks.

-Christine
        Fused from T4-T12
        23years old

Comment

Ok this is going to sound really strange, but.....Does anyone ever feel like if they move the wrong way or stretch their arms too far, that their screws are going to come out? I know that sounds crazy but I really do worry that I might mess up the work that has been done.

I feel like I have been lacking mental energy for reading or doing other simple things like that, has anyone else felt that way? Any ideas on ways to keep myself busy during the day would be VERY HELPFUL! Thanks.
          Fused from T4-T12
          23years old

Comment

hello Christine- yes, I still worry I am going to pop a screw, or twist the wrong way, it's normal! and i still find it very hard to focus on tasks that I used to do, especially ones that require hard concentration. I think that's the anesthetic, pain and shock to the system, of surgery. I get frustrated because I drop a lot of things and have to get my grabber or wait until my husband gets up to pick it up. So, I totally get why you're frustrated. BUT, believe me, it does get better!! Please be patient with yourself and remember we're there with you to get through it! hang in there and when you feel like you are at the end of your rope, call on us !!! Lisa
            Lisa age 47
            T curve 69 degrees
            L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
            fused to from T-3 to sacrum
            anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
            pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Christine -- I had to laugh when you talked about not having mental energy -- I get queasy when I try to read anything more challenging than People magazine. My brain is definitely shot. Visitors tire me out too. I find that recovery is extremely boring and requires a lot of patience. I just started getting out the house twice a week for physical therapy on my leg, so it's helping to have some structure and to be a bit more social. I can't wait til I can drive again...but they're telling me probably not until Christmas.
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Ah yes! I had to nod and smile to myself when I read about dropping things. Wow - I didn't realize how much I dropped until after surgery. When my husband comes home from work he always asks, "So, what did you leave on the ground for me today?" I dropped raspberry yogurt on the carpet yesterday and was able to lower myself to my knees with the carpet cleaner, but not able to bend over to get close! I did my best and then my husband fixed it when he got home. I had to laugh at myself!

Yes, I'm still worried about popping a screw or messing up my surgery, but as everyone else says, that would be really hard to do. I do find that if I twist wrong though, my body will tell me (or scream at me)! Hang in there. We are all very courageous people!
                "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Ha-ha-ha - I guess we are all in the same boat re dropping things, popping screws, and being brain dead. And your body screaming at you when you move too quickly. I'm right there with you. One day I was having a total meltdown and called my sister, screaming: DO YOU REALIZE HOW MANY THINGS YOU DROP IN ANY GIVEN DAY??? DO YOU REALIZE HOW HARD IT IS TO PICK UP A CHERRY PIT WITH A GRABBER????
                  FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                  10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                  8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                  5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                  2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                  3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Ok I am still laughing at all the funny responses from everyone, and man it hurts...really it hurts. I am sitting here with my poor bottom in pain, but I wanted to thank you all for your responses. Hmmmm maybe that Occupational Therapist in the hospital was right about the grabber...I should have listened and brought one home.

I think the hardest part right now is that I want to start working on my applications for grad school, but don't have the strength or energy to even think about them. I worry that I won't be able to apply for next fall and then have to take even more time off....I think I am rambling right now, Sorry.

Thank you again everyone, you are all so sweet and supportive.
                    -Christine
                    Last edited by Christine84; 09-27-2007, 06:51 PM.
                    Fused from T4-T12
                    23years old

Comment

Christine, dear-

You need to send someone to wal-mart right away and get you a grabber !!! That should be standard issue to back patients before they leave the hospital- I got tickled at the yogurt and cherry pit stories, but they are right, food presents the biggest hurdle once it lands!! Watermelon seed are so slick and slimy!!! My goal was to start some type of school/retraining too this fall and there ain't no way I can focus, scares me to death to commit to something right now... Keep your chin up, we'll make it back! Lisa
                      Lisa age 47
                      T curve 69 degrees

Comment

Christine and Lisa,
                        I totally feel you on the school-delayed problem. My surgery is October 3. I spend so much time arranging things and trying to emotionally prepare for the recovery, only to occasionally realize, "damn, then what?" I've been considering law school or getting an MSW, but there are tests and applications, essays to write...all time sensitive. I can't see doing that in the next 6 months. I really fear a post-surgical despair hitting me at 3 months when I realize that this thing has set me back at least a year. It's hard to accept--emotionally and financially.

My best to you both.

Holly
                        Age 33
                        40 degree diagnosed 1993; 70ish degree 2007
                        Fusion to T9 to L5 October 3, 2007 with Dr. Kurt Von Rueden
                        Corrected to 8 degrees

Comment

Ever seen a ballerina do a grand plie (bend with their knees, arm sweep to the floor)? Great way to get things from the floor. I also used barbecue tongs to reach things when I was in my cast. That was before they had grabbers!
                          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Ha ha - I still do a grand plie to flush the toilet! I used to have to use the cane to reach the flusher.

About going back to school - I am actually starting my last year of grad school in 2 weeks and am nervous. However, my advisor (who has had her own health problems) reminded me that putting something off for a year or taking a little bit longer to do something is really NOT a big deal in the long run, especially when your health is concerned. There is such this pressure in academia to get everything done and done now, but in reality, your health is first. Big deep breaths. I believe everything happens and works itself out for a reason. It just make take a little extra time, and by golly, we all deserve it!

Good luck,
                            Anya
                            "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                            Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                            19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Holly- you "hit the nail on the head", it does hit you financially and emotionally when your career is on the line because of or scoliosis. I feel so damned incompetent. It helps me to keep things in perspective to know I am not the only one! Anya, I am rooting for you to make it through this year with flying colors- at least your advisor is there to help, if you need to back up and slow down. Lisa
                              Lisa age 47
                              T curve 69 degrees

Comment

Working...
                              X