Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geo, posting from the flip side

Hi everyone,

Since reading Ann's post about her sister, I've decided to wait awhile to post a lot of details of my surgery. I feel so awful for her, especially, as I said, while I am sitting recovering at my sister's home.

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm doing well, the surgery was a success so far - my doc says my curve was about 55 degrees day of surgery, and he got it down to around 20. I'm taking daily walks, trying to get sleep (big challenge), and trying to get pain meds at a regular schedule. Energy comes and goes, but I have to keep reminding myself it has not even been 1 week yet.

Hope you are all well, and I will write later.
    31 year old female
    55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
    T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
    Xray, 3 mos. post-op
    Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

You sound like you are doing well. It takes time to recover. The walks help a great deal. Back when I had my surgery, I spent a month in the hospital. My daughter was only in for 5 days when she had her surgery. It took her 2 weeks to feel better and after weeks, she was back to school and dance (limited). hang in there, you will start feeling better real soon!
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Wow!

Geo,

If I read this correctly you literally just had surgery! I can't believe you are even up to typing on the computer. That is absolutely amazing. Make sure you allow yourself to rest as much as you can. Sounds like you are a tough person. Keep healing, resting, and recovering. Good luck on the walking.

-Christine
      Surgery completed July, 2007
      Fused from T4-T12
      23years old

Comment

Geo,
        Congrats! Just keep walking and you'll feel a little better everyday!
        Sonia
        58*
        Surgery 6/29/07
        T3-L4

Comment

Congrats for being on the flip side! You are already out of the hospital? Wow. I know that sleeping is difficult, but I can tell you that it DOES get better. I still use a few pillows for support, but can basically sleep through the night now (11 weeks later). Oh, my curve also went from 55 to 19! As others have said, keep up the walking. I found that even though it hurt, it was what I looked forward to during the day. It was wonderful to get outside and see the progress you can make daily and weekly.

You sound like you're doing so well so early on. Keep up the good work. It does get better. I promise!

Best,
          Anya
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Gosh Geo!

Excellent ! you are doing so well ! Glad you are back- Sleep will get better too, Are you going to give it some time before you travel home? Lisa
            Lisa age 47
            T curve 69 degrees
            L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
            fused to from T-3 to sacrum
            anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
            pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Thank you guys for the encouragement. Walking is definitely a great part of my day, though my third walk is usually under protest by my body. My days so far consist of alernating between laying down, pacing my sister's house, trying to sit for short periods, and walking outside.
              Luckily, I have awesome nieces and nephews who encourage my progress. We almost made it to the playground on our walk yesterday; they were so disappointed that I couldn't quite get there So I reminded them that with their help, I will make it a little further each day!
              I have my first post-op with my doc in 5 days, which means an hour's drive each way. The ride home from the hospital was fine pain-wise, but once I got out of the car I was in hurting, so I'm a bit anxious about this.
              I'm scheduled to fly home (3-3.5 hour flight) on Sept. 2, and am definitely anxious about that. My ticket is changeable, so I'll just see where I'm at by then. It's not so much the flight as it is the whole day of travel to airport, wait at airport, PLUS flight! It's a lot to think about right now, but progress at this point seems so rapid that it may be doable.
              I'm glad to be back, and yes, sitting at a computer takes a lot out of me right now, so I'll sign off. Hope you are all well!
              31 year old female
              55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
              T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
              Xray, 3 mos. post-op
              Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Working...
              X