Sleeping on floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping on floor?

My spine is fused from the top to the bottom, and it's been a few years since my last surgery so I'm mostly recovered. For an upcoming trip, I'm wondering: Has anyone ever slept on a camping mattress on the floor? I've never done it, but after googling pictures of them, they look pretty thin. I wouldn't normally sleep on the floor with just a sleeping bag because my back is fused so I can't "mold" it to the flat floor like others usually would. What do you guys think?

At 10 weeks post op I had to go somewhere and slept on the floor so i brought my memory foam mattress topper and was fine, although I was still taking lots of meds. It was just 1 night and I got up several times to walk to the bathroom.
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

My daughter is almost 3 years post-op and fused from T3-L2 and doesn't have any problem sleeping on the floor. When she has sleep-overs, she sleeps in her sleeping bags just like everyone else and has never felt the need for an air mattress.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

ditto what Mary Lou said, my son will often just use a sleeping bag on the floor at sleepovers. He may get a little sore, esp. if he sleeps in a "wrong" position but nothing major. Of course, this is usually only one night though.

How many days will you be sleeping on the floor? We were camping a couple of weeks ago, and my son was sleeping on a cot. After approx. 3-4 days he started feeling uncomfortable so he then slept on an air mattress and felt better.

Renee

Comment

no-way hosay!

I can't sleep on the floor. I can do an airbed, a matress on the floor, but if I slept on the floor with a thin foam mattress I might struggle getting up the next day. My suggestion, as clearly everyone has different experiences, is to try it out at home before you go away! If it hurts at home, then try something different. Have fun!
          1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
          2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
          2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
          Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
          msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
          X