My sister...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sister...

My sister passed away last night. She was disabled from a failed spinal fusion surgery from back in 1982, and she was in a lot of constant pain and had a morphine pump. That not withstanding, she still gave of herself and took care of my parents. She was a wonderful person and I am going to miss her terribly. I still can't believe that I can't just pick up the phone and call her today. Please pray for her and her family. She has 4 grown children. She would have been 51 on Sept. 23rd, the day before my originally scheduled surgery date. My family is devastated.

Ann
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Oh Ann, I'm so terribly sorry. My heart goes out to you and her family.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine losing a family member. It sounds like she was a very special lady.
      Please accept my sincerest condolences.
      I will pray for you and your family.

Lori
      37 yr old female
      5/14/07: Spinal fusion w/Titanium implants to correct 80 degree curves - T5 to L4
      7/30/07: Revision to remove screw from T12 that is abutting spinal cord

Comment

You and your family are in my prayers.

-Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

My sincere condolences.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

My sincerest sympathy, Ann-

What a huge loss you are suffering in addition to your own set of problems. I can imagine that due to her medical history, that would be on your mind as you go into surgery also. You need special prayers to get you through this- Let us know how you and your family are doing...God Bless, Lisa
            Lisa age 47
            T curve 69 degrees
            L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
            fused to from T-3 to sacrum
            anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
            pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

I will be praying for you and your family, I know how hard it is to lose someone close to you.
              Patty 51 years old
              Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
              Posterior T3- L4
              Pre surgery curves
              T-53degrees
              L-38degrees
              and a severe side shift to the right.
              Post surgery curves
              Less than 10 degrees
              Surgery April, 2006
              C4 - C6

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear this. I will be praying for you and your family.
                Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                2003- 33 degrees
                2005- 37 degrees
                2006- 44 degrees
                May 2007- 47 degrees
                December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
                Fused T1 to L2
                Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

I am so sorry, most sincere condolences on the passing of your sister. It is never easy to lose a family member, especially one so young. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Renee

Comment

Ann,
                    I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.
                    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers. It really means a lot to me. I always tried to get my sister to log on to this forum to give her some hope. She was planning on having revision surgery to see if she could get any relief (though this would have been her fourth and she was not looking forward to it). I guess she probably would not have survived it.

What KILLS me is the insensitive manner of the medical examiner's office! My sister was only 50!!! And when I asked them why they weren't going to do an autopsy, they said, "you realize she had scoliosis surgery, she had a heart murmur and she had a medication pump, right?" The nerve of them!! Does that make her death any less mysterious or less important??? If I go through with my surgery, will they not even care to look into it if I die unexpectedly just because I had "scoliosis surgery"??!?

What I did find out was the name of the doctor that was proposing to sign her death certificate, looked him up in the Dept. of Health and got an email for him. He called my brother-in-law for permission to talk to me and then we spoke by phone. I was able to raise enough concern with him that he is now refusing to sign the death certificate until the ME's office does an autopsy. So, I guess I was able to get her some justice. Though I doubt her husband is very happy with me. He just doesn't want her cut up again, and I can certainly understand that. However, the ME's office said it was a suspected heart attack and her own doctor (a neurologist helping her with her pain only - she apparently did not have a PCP) said it sounded more like a stroke. My problem is that, if it's something genetic, then it's something that her family needs to know. Am I setting myself up for the same chain of events? What about her children?

I'm sorry to go on and on, but I also think my sister deserves some respect, dignity and for the ME to give a #*&% about why she's not here any more!!!

Please, take no offense at my ranting. I am in a lot of pain, as is my entire family. Thank you again for your prayers. They are very, very welcome and needed.

Ann
                        44 year old female
                        Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                        Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
                        Posterior Only, 9 hours
                        Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
                        Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

i'm so sorry to hear all this. My prayers are with you and your family.

Maria

Comment

My heart goes out to you and your entire family!!! You have every right to fight for what you believe, in your heart, that you need to know, and deserve to know!!!

I know I'm a softy, and your situation brought tears streaming. There is nothing that I can say that can help you in any way, and that breaks my heart!!!

I can't find any words that could possibly comfort you right now. But I want you to know how sorry I am that you are having to go through this difficult time.

We all lose valued loved one's way too soon in our lifetime!!! And it's a hard thing to accept!!! I hope you find the answers your looking for. And I hope you know that you have a lot of support available to you here if you need us!!!

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers,
                            Shari

Comment

Ann,

I don't know what to say except I am truly sorry to hear all of this. You and your family will be in my prayers.

I wish for you tremendous amounts of strength and love.

Lesly

Comment

Working...
                              X