Discogram in fused area??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discogram in fused area??

Can anyone enlighten me on the procedure i had done this past week? I had a 'discogram' done. Now i've had 2 of those before ... one on my thoracic area and one on the lumbar....before my fusion surgery 2 years ago. i'm fused from T4 to S1.... i've had trouble/pain in the area ABOVE T4 recently....My same surgeon who did the work 2 yrs ago had me to return and said i'd have a discogram done to determine where the problem was. Naturally i assumed (i know, i know... never assume) it would be done in the upper thoracic where my pain has been..... surprise, surprise!! when i awoke i was in big pain in my lumbar area! There are 9 punctures beginning at about my waist on the right side and extending downward in a vertical line...
    I thought this area was fused! How could they even get a needle into that area of my spine?? I am scheduled to meet with the dr. on Tuesday to discuss his findings.... this should be interesting

ouch..... can't offer any advice, just sympathy...hope you get some relief at your doctor's appointment, it does seem strange. Lisa
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Hi JoAnn,

I don't know why you are having this problem, I can only hope that it may be normal. I just want to wish you all the best news on your Doctor visit, and let you know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers that there's nothing major wrong!!!

Let us know,
      Shari

Comment

Thank you, shari and lisa for responding.

Dr. showed me views with the needles in the spine taken during surgery, so i reckon it can be done! The problem is that i have a screw loose (daughter said that had been the case for a long time and SHE could have told him that! )Actually, not just one but some.... and everytime i move in a certain way, it's causing irritation.

He says the hardware has done its job... The fusion is solid... so he wants to take it out. My heart just sank at the thought of more surgery, but he assured me... and i have searched for other results on this forum.... that this will be almost minor compared to the original surgery... He says that the op itself should last about 45 minutes even though he will have to open the length of my back again using the original scar. Says that my hospital stay should be only 2-3 days and that i could prob return to work in a couple of weeks. I hope he wasn't being overly optimistic or simplistic in explaining it all, but i am ready for this to be over!

Comment

It's good to know what is wrong with you- I have been so surprised to find out that a high number of fusion patients have their hardware removed later. Maybe not a real high number, but more that I would have thought! But it makes sense, if you are fused but having nerve problems. Are you going in pretty soon? Good Luck and let us know how it goes ! Lisa
          Lisa age 47
          T curve 69 degrees
          L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
          fused to from T-3 to sacrum
          anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
          pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Hi JoAnn,

I hope that your problems can be solved with such a "minor" revision.

I just can help but wonder if removing some of the hardware will weaken your fusion in any way. Does anyone have anykind of knowledge of this happening. Just curious.

Shari

Comment

Thanks, Shari! I always enjoy reading your posts... You are so encouraging and interesting. The dr. says that my fusion is solid, being 2 years since the original surgery. I hope that nothing changes in that regard!

Lisa, i was reading on another website some surgeons' opinions of rod removal after fusion and most of them said that 95% of the time it isn't needed. Only in cases where they are causing irritation, or are infected, or have become dislodged. Yet, when i read the posts in the 'Revision' part of this forum, it seems there are many people who have had them removed... It would be interesting to see how many of our members have had revision surgery including rod & screw removals.

Comment

Working...
              X