Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding a Harley Davidson

Hello to all,

I am considering buying a Harley as a reward to myself after my surgery which is coming up in a few more weeks . Does anyone know about this as far as...does the vibration of the bike upset the fusion? Or anything else about riding a bike after surgery. I have always wanted one. Yes, I am 51 yrs. of age. I call it my "mid-life crisis" . I am talking down the road aways after the surgery.
    Last edited by DebbieM; 09-08-2007, 01:40 AM.
    A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
    T2 to Sacrum
    Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
    Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
    Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
    Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
    Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Good for you! You deserve a Harley. My daughter hasn't ridden on a street bike since surgery, but she does ride our 4-wheeler. She rides it in the mountains (over tree roots, rocks, etc.) and has never complained once. Of course like many other things, she had to wait until she was one year post-op and got the okay from the doctor to do so.

Enjoy!

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

DebbieM

Hooray for you! I love your attitude. My post-surgery indulgences probably will include lots of travel including much walking, and if I have any money left over (hah!) I think a BMW (car) convertible would suit me better than a Harley - but who knows? Since I never had good balance and didn't fare well on a bicycle, maybe with a symmetrical back I can venture on to 2-wheelers.

I don't remember - when is your surgery date?
      As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

You'll look damn good....

Debbie - Your post really brought a smile to my face today- Your attitude is very refreshing !! I could use some of that myself. Put that new body on that cool bike and give 'em hell!! Good luck and keep us posted... Lisa
        Lisa age 47
        T curve 69 degrees
        L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
        fused to from T-3 to sacrum
        anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
        pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

DebbieM--I just was coming back from our trip to Maine and saw a bunch of bikers on the highway and said to my husband did he think I could get a motorcycle....? He was'nt too thrilled..at all! But I would like one too & I'm 47.... But my intuition says 'No way".. how about a moped??? Lynne

Comment

Just something I have noticed since my fusion Debbie, is that jarring of any kind does not feel good at all! When on the ski lift and it bounces up and down going over each tower it is not comfortable. Not painful but not a pleasant feeling either. I have also noticed this feeling while riding in one of our trucks that has a very stiff ride. I know Harley's have a stiff suspension from riding on them in the past. (We rented some to ride to red rock canyon.) My Husband owns both a Honda VFR and a Gold wing. Talk about smooth, the Gold wing is a recliner on wheels. You might want to rent different models after your fusion to see how your back tolerates the different vibrations. I haven't tried our jet skis yet as it has been pretty choppy out the last few times we have gone. (Plus Dr. said take it easy on them.) And yes, 51 is the new 41!

Comment

I personally am afraid to ride a regular bike because if I fell my back would not "give" like an unfused spine making my small unfused portion more vulnerable to injury. If the bike paths here were well maintained without gravel I would consider enjoying bike riding again. In my area of the counrty auto traffic is very aggressive and roads are not condusive to safe riding even though I live in a semi-rural area.
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Debbie,

I am never one to discourage anyone's goals or desires after this surgery, but I do think that you have to consider the consequenses. This is a question for you doctor.

My sister has a horse that was trained for handicapped children, very clam and understanding. I hurt like hell after one short ride.

Think of yourself and what you have just gone through and if you want to risk comprimising your correction, and possibly causing additional complications. Again, a question for your doctor!!!!

Just my opinion,
                Shari

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies. I would love to have a Harley for just taking it on scenic rides i.e. mountains etc. When it comes down to it I may just chicken out...who knows. It sounds good though. I will ask my Dr. first. Maybe a nice vacation somewhere. I hear Tahiti is nice. I have friends that just love it there. You know we all need to reward ourselves with something nice for going through the before and afters of this surgery!!!
                  T2 to Sacrum
                  Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
                  Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
                  Bevery Hills, CA

Comment

Debbie--I so agree! We all need a few perks & rewards after(& before) this surgery. I just came back from a nice vacation at a year post-op & feeling great!
                    I had my surgery at 46 & definitely went thru a midlife thing throughout this all. Maybe you can get a nice convertible instead of the motorcycle? Better for your back! Lynne
                    all my best to you with your upcoming surgeries...

Comment

bike

why don't you rent a bike for a day after surgery? so you don't have to ride it many times just so now and than . you don't have to buy it, try it first and see how your back and you respont to it, because everybody experienses it diferrentley. I love it when people don't look about what they can't but look at what they want to do and can do , it give's people good hope for a better life and feeling better.
                      stan

Comment

I love to ride too!

Debbie, Im a 46 yr. old mom and have been riding for about 6 yrs. I have a 57 degree lower and a 30 Degree upper curve. I was wondering if you have already been riding or if you intend to learn now. Since new riders are more likely to have accidents you may want to consider how much of a risk you want to take. I haven't had the surgery yet but I probably will some day. I ride a sportster now and sometimes if I hit a sharp bump and am not ready for it it can really hurt. I think it's really great that you want to reward yourself for going through what you have, I would too. You should discuss this with you're doctors first and what ever you decide, have fun and be carefull, you have a whole new life ahead of you. Good Luck Wendy

Comment

Harley Riding

Deb,
                          Your surgery is very new, so I am sure that your doctor will advise you to wait for awhile. He may also tell you that you can never do things again, and that's just bull. My doctor told me that I would never horseback ride, dive off a diving board or ride a motorcycle. Well let me just tell you that I have done all 3 of these things and I am still alive to talk about it. At our age, we just have to do whatever we want. I have ridden a Harley for about 7 years, and believe it or not, if you have a really comfy seat, sometimes my back actually feels better when I am riding. I have switched seats several times and it is worth the money to get a good one, but I say if the doctor says OK, just do it!!!!
                          DJP
                          New Jersey
                          Harrington Rod Surgery 1976
                          Dr. Keim NYC
                          Fused from ? to L5

Comment

Hi DJP

Thanks for your positive input on riding after surgery. I do know that I will have to wait some time before I jump on one. I would like to feel that my fusion is pretty well healed first. Yes...maybe someday it will come to fruition. Me and a Harley!!!
                            T2 to Sacrum
                            Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
                            Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
                            Bevery Hills, CA

Comment

Working...
                            X