4 Months later...I'm back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Months later...I'm back!

Hello everyone! Sorry it has taken me so long to get back online and let you supportive folks know the outcome of my surgery. I had the anterior portion on 4/17 and they replaced 4 lumbar discs. The next day I had the posterior portion with a fusion from T2 to the sacrum, along with 2 eight inch pedicle screws from the lower end of the rods to the iliac crest. I have almost no memory of the first 12 days after surgery, but my family kept a journal for me so I would know what went on. I am truly blessed with incredible family support. I was never left alone, day or night when in the hospital and rehab unit. My youngest daughter took all her vacation time and 6 weeks of family leave to care for me.
    -
    My surgeon had told us that "most patients are pretty miserable for the first three months". Sums it up pretty well, I think! On the bright side:
    the surgeons are thrilled with the results - I'm as straight as a stick.
    I have grown 1 inch, and have lost 25 pounds. (too much actually...i am down to 118 # and am trying to GAIN weight!)
    The one question that I cannot answer now is if it was worth it. I need to wait at least 9 mo to a year to see the final results. I will tell you that the pain and disability that sent me to surgery vanished into thin air. I know that many of you were thinking about me and wishing me well - my heartfelt thanks to you! If I can be of any help to any of you - you only have to ask!
    Fondly,
    Julie
    Julie B. 65 (felt like 85...now feel like 55!)
    April 17, 2007 Anterior...replaced 4 lumbar discs
    April 18 Posterior..fused T2 to sacrum plus 2 long screws from rods out to ilium
    Great correction...loooong recovery!!!

Welcome back, Julie! You have a very balanced perspective on the whole thing. That's amazing you have no memory of the first 12 days -- wow. Wonder what drugs they gave you! I have spotty memories....like scenes from a movie....

Best wishes for a steady and uneventful recovery...
    Chris
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

It sounded like a tough road to where you are, but it sounds worthwhile. I was really inspired with your results and to hear no more pain for you. All the best!
      1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
      2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
      2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
      Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
      msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Julie,

Welcome back. I always wonder about the ones like yourself who are gone for a bit after surgery, glad you are doing well. You aren't the only one who at a few months out wasn't sure if it was worth it. I have heard this occasionally from a few others. I don't know but one person who regretted having the surgery and she had it many, many years ago. I think your statement "the pain and disability that sent me to surgery vanished into thin air" would be the thing to focus on. (You had quite a lot done after all.) The pain and disability post-op decreases weekly, if not daily. You are at the beginning of a long recovery as well as a new lease on life. Patients is the tough part now. I am at almost 1 1/2yrs. out and STILL improving!

Best wishes, Suzy

Comment

Hi Julie,

Welcome back!!! It does sometimes take time to have the energy and the desire to get back on here. I know I didn't want to express some of my darkest days that I experienced for the 1st 3 months afterwards for different reasons.

It's so great to hear from you again, and you are doing a great service to those that are considering this surgery, and to those that have just had it.

That's what I think this forum is all about!!!

Thanks for taking the time to share you experience!!!

Shari

Comment

Welcome back Julie. Like others have said, it does sound like you have a really good perspective on things. I'm a little over a month behind you in the recovery process and still couldn't say for sure if it was worth it, but the pain I had pre-op is no longer there. Now there is just different post-op pain, but I'm sure it will get better. It is a long process (from what I know already) and I'm glad to hear you are doing so well.

Keep up the good work,
            Anya
            "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
            Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
            19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
            X