Possible Risk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Risk

I am set to have surgery on September 18 with Dr. Errico. Overall I have been rather calm about surgery knowing that without it my 61 degree curve will continue to progress. Before I go into the surgery I just wanted to ask if anyone knew if there is a high risk for becoming paralyzed from the surgery? Any information or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

check out the "Has anyone had this done during surgery" thread on the search engine...this helps to explain just one of the many precautions they take to keep our spinal cord safe during surgery. I had a single cervical fusion done two years ago and they hooked me up from head to foot with wires that they explained they hook it up to computers that monitor the electrical impulses that are sent and returned. I felt really safe when i went in, and I am sure it is even more extensive for long spinal fusions. If you have read many of our recent threads, many of us have some post-op leg sensitivities from a screw pressing on a nerve. Most go away in a few months, but I do not remember anyone ever being completely paralyzed. I think you can rest at ease about that part of it. Take care and start working out and getting in good physical condition. That should speed your recovery. Lisa
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

I was amazed at the progress the doctors have made over thirty years. I had my surgery in 1975 and there was a fairly high risk of paralysis and they couldn't do a lot of correction. My daughter had surgery 3 years ago (T7 - L3) and she got fantastic correction. They also hooked her up with electrodes to make sure they connected nerves up right and to detect any problems as they develope. As with any surgery these days, they have to tell you all the risks, even if they are slight. For every one horror story you hear, there are probably at least 100 success stories!
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

spinal cord monitoring

The current practice is spinal cord monitoring during scoliosis surgery. Specially trained personnel continuously monitor the nerve impulses especially as the curves are reduced. They work closely with the surgeon. If the nerves show stress then the surgeon backs off with the correction. Also, the "wake-up" test is performed after the correction but before the incision is closed. Under light anesthesia the patient moves his/her legs to show all is OK. I do not remember my "wake-up" test but I know for sure it was done because I have read my OP report.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Jamie,

I understand your concerns and fears completely!!! I searched for a fews years to find a surgeon that I trusted to do such an extreme thing to me.

I knew in my heart within 10 minutes or less when I found the right one.

With that said, as a patient, you have every right to ask your surgeon if they have had any deaths or any other major complications in any other surgeries they have performed. You can also ask to talk to other people that have had the surgery performed by them.

All the good Doctor's will understand your concerns and fears, and will provide you with this needed information.

Shari

Comment

I believe the risk of paralysis for a normal patient is around 0.01%.

There is some info on these stats somewhere on the net but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment. If you are interested, post a reply and I will have a better look for it.
            Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
            Post op 30(T)/33(L)
            http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

According to an academic article I just read in my field, most of the rare cases of paralysis have occurred in persons who have neuromuscular diseases to begin with.
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Than you for all of your responses. I think that for me as it gets closer to the surgery I am imaging the worst case scenarios. Shari, like you, I felt completely comfortable with my doctor right away. I spoke with a girl who had the surgery done by him and she had nothing but positive things to say about him. I just think that I need this next month to go by so I can have the surgery. When I scheduled it the idea of giving myself three months to prepare seemed like a good idea, but now I am just ready to get it done!

Jamie

Comment

Hi Jamie,

It really is something that's hard to go through the anticipation part of it.

I remember making the 3 hour drive to the hospital the day before, and I had fear, but I also had a strange sense of relief. It's hard to explain how I felt during that trip and the night before. Of course I didn't get that much sleep that night, but I had a weird clam about me.

Shari

Comment

Working...
                  X