Post-fusion Swimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-fusion Swimming

For those of you who have had fusions high up into the thoracic area, did you ever get back to swimming? I am one year post op and when I have been in the water, the only thing I felt able to do was float on my back and take a few back strokes.

If I tried to float on my stomach or take strokes, it hurt between my shoulders, also I did not feel strong enough to keep myself up and could feeel the metal rods in my back when I moved my arms. Side stroke did not go much better.

Could it be that I just haven't gained enough strength yet in my upper back yet to swim or does this stiffness/weakness make it another activity to cross off my list?

I am 48 and fused T5 to L5.

Deb
    posterior surgery 7/24/07
    for T72, L77 s curve.

I had my A/P in '02, T4-S1. I can stroke on my back and a bit on my side. But I find it very uncomfortable to do an overhead stroke, belly down. I take aqua exercise class x3 days a week. I try to keep my legs/hip joints loose and strong, the same with the arms.

I think that with way more effort on my part I might be able to stroke overhead, but I'm happy with what I'm doing.
    Sandy
    SandyC

Comment

I'm fused from T1 down to L4 and have no problems swimming on my front - doing crawl that is, I've never been able to do breast stroke. I've been fused since I was 10 years old, and I'm 31 now. I've found that I find it a lot more comfortable to swim using a snorkel - it takes all of the strain off my neck.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll be able to get back to it in time

Comment

I belong to a senior's therapy pool. They keep the water at 90 degrees. I swim a few lenghts doing breaststroke. I also use the treadmill and exercise bike that are in the pool. The pool offers different types of exercise classes. I like the water yoga class (can't do most of the overhead stretches), I do what I can. It takes a while to get your muscles back into shape after surgery. Be patient!
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Straight as an arrow

My fusion is from T1-S1. I have had it for 22 years now and I must say that swimming is one of the thinks that doesn't hurt me too bad. I agree that over head strokes (belly down) is difficult. I'll tell you this though. When you build up those muscles and are able to dive, you'll be the straight as an arrow! I only learned how to dive after surgery.

Comment

blub blub blub

I swim like a fish, for me it's the best exercise. It may be worthwhile getting a lesson, because perhaps if you are finding it difficult your technique might need modification post-op? It felt a bit awkward getting back into the water in the few months after surgery, but that was because the sensation of pressure on my thorax wasn't pleasant.
            I would suggest trying to do some drills, like kickboard, kicking on your side with the kickboard, and then building up to introducing arm work. Try using fins to get some speed up and make it easier to get the action going. I use a pull bouy, but I would think given your lumbar fusion you may find it an uncomfortable angle. Also, push down with your chest in the water? i'm no swim coach, but I would endorse a lesson. Swimming has been so helpful for managing pain and getting some strength. My physio was the one that helped me get back into the pool with some exercises.
            1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
            2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
            2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
            Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
            msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

My fusion is T5-L2 and I'm 7 months post-op. I tried swimming recently, and I had a hard time... I could feel the hardware (this may be in my head!) I also felt unstable, which could mean that I haven't built up enough strength yet. I'm hoping it won't always feel this way!

Lesly

Comment

Swimming after spinal fusion

I was fused from T3-sacrum 19 months ago. At 3 months post op I started PT and one session a week was in the pool. I tried to swim by gliding on my stomach and found I couldn't arch my back. I would sink. I was upset thinking this was permanent, but I was in a pool about 13 months post op and found I now could swim. I think many things change during the years after the fusion, and there are alot of things we can do again. Plus, everyone is different.

Good Luck,
                dianeh
                ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
                T3- sacrum
                dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

Working...
                X