Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Activity After Surgery?

Hi,

I was just wondering, for those who have had spinal fusion (for scoliosis or kyphosis), how long after the surgery did you have to wait before you could be physically active for example how long before you could:

1. Walk long distances
    2. Jog/Run for durations
    3. Weight lift
    4. Play sports such as tennis, golf, ski, etc.

I was hoping y'all could share your personal experiences.

Thanks,

*edit - also please tell me how old you are. I understand recovery is a lot faster for younger patients. I'm currently 24.
    Last edited by Canadian_Bacon; 08-12-2007, 04:13 PM. Reason: update post

I am 6 months post op, fused from T4 to L4 and I was 44 when I had the surgery. I walk about 7 block to the bus stop when I come home from work. I have spent over a hour shopping in the mall, with no problem. I won't be running/jogging again, it is too much stress on your back. You have to find activities that don't put stress on your back otherwise the other discs that aren't fused can get damaged and wear down and you may need to be fused further in the future. I haven't lifted weights yet I did before the surgery for a while I couldn't lift many things. For the first two months I could even lift a container of milk, I felt so so weak. At around 5 months I was able to lift things a lot easier. As for sports - I am still stiff and ache and I don't think I will be able to do any sports for a couple more months. I had a staph infection from the surgery so I guess I would have been able to do more by now if I didn't get this infection. At 5 months I returned to work full time and I commute to New York Ctiy every day and I am still on IV medication for the staph infection. I am feeling pretty good now and I can't wait until my next vist with my surgeon to find out how much exercises I can get back to doing.
    Before the surgery I worked out 6 days a week, so I am looking forward to building myself up again because I lost 15 pounds and muscle tone from the surgery. This is a very serious surgery with a long recovery process, think long and hard before having it done.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by suzyjay
      I am 6 months post op, fused from T4 to L4 and I was 44 when I had the surgery. I walk about 7 block to the bus stop when I come home from work. I have spent over a hour shopping in the mall, with no problem. I won't be running/jogging again, it is too much stress on your back. You have to find activities that don't put stress on your back otherwise the other discs that aren't fused can get damaged and wear down and you may need to be fused further in the future. I haven't lifted weights yet I did before the surgery for a while I couldn't lift many things. For the first two months I could even lift a container of milk, I felt so so weak. At around 5 months I was able to lift things a lot easier. As for sports - I am still stiff and ache and I don't think I will be able to do any sports for a couple more months. I had a staph infection from the surgery so I guess I would have been able to do more by now if I didn't get this infection. At 5 months I returned to work full time and I commute to New York Ctiy every day and I am still on IV medication for the staph infection. I am feeling pretty good now and I can't wait until my next vist with my surgeon to find out how much exercises I can get back to doing.
      Before the surgery I worked out 6 days a week, so I am looking forward to building myself up again because I lost 15 pounds and muscle tone from the surgery. This is a very serious surgery with a long recovery process, think long and hard before having it done.

Sue

Wow. I realized the surgery was intense but I didn't realize it would prevent you from working out for so long.

- Are there any recomended exercises for this period? I would assume you need to build up some of the strength lost from the surgery.

- Would it be prudent to "bulk up" prior to surgery to prevent so much loss of muscle?

Comment

I think you should get in the best possible physical shape, especially aerobic, because it is all about good lung function and blood supply to your newly fixed back, hips, ribs, etc...also the people that worked out and lifted weights prior seemed to do quite well, maybe the good circulation to the muscles makes the difference. i will tell you this, while I was in rehab, i had my son go out and buy me a good multi-vitamin. I felt like i was sneaking them in because most doctors don't put any faith in them, and don't want you taking anything other that what they prescribe. I could not eat very well, and i really bounced back after i started taking them with breakfast, when i had a few bites of food in my stomach. Your nutrition affects everything, from the healing of your incision to the fusion itself- you will lose weight and some muscle, especially if you don't keep your protein levels high. A lot of the members here have kept Ensure close by their bedside, and i drank slimfast with my meals. Suzyjay said it like it is- this is a rough surgery that will turn your life around for a while. But you are being realistic and preparing yourself. I have not been released to do any exercises either, but there are some members that have gone mountain climbing in Europe and some are active military doing full workouts!!! So, the moral to the story is, do your homework, and keep up the good work to get ready- and Thank God you're only 24!!!! Lisa
        Lisa age 47
        T curve 69 degrees
        L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
        fused to from T-3 to sacrum
        anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
        pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

At 24 yrs old you should recover much quicker then me (45 yrs). I think you should try to put some extra weight on and build up as much muscle mass as you can. I lost 15 lbs after surgery. I couldn't seem to gain weight before the surgery, but I did workout 6 days a week with aerobics and lifted weights.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by suzyjay
            At 24 yrs old you should recover much quicker then me (45 yrs). I think you should try to put some extra weight on and build up as much muscle mass as you can. I lost 15 lbs after surgery. I couldn't seem to gain weight before the surgery, but I did workout 6 days a week with aerobics and lifted weights.

Sue
            Thanks Sue.

Just curious, but did your surgeon prescribe any physio therapy exercises after the surgery? I've read before that you need to do some light exercises to strengthen the back muscles as they are not "used to" that position and have grown weak.

Comment

Originally posted by crepehanger
              I think you should get in the best possible physical shape, especially aerobic, because it is all about good lung function and blood supply to your newly fixed back, hips, ribs, etc...also the people that worked out and lifted weights prior seemed to do quite well, maybe the good circulation to the muscles makes the difference. i will tell you this, while I was in rehab, i had my son go out and buy me a good multi-vitamin. I felt like i was sneaking them in because most doctors don't put any faith in them, and don't want you taking anything other that what they prescribe. I could not eat very well, and i really bounced back after i started taking them with breakfast, when i had a few bites of food in my stomach. Your nutrition affects everything, from the healing of your incision to the fusion itself- you will lose weight and some muscle, especially if you don't keep your protein levels high. A lot of the members here have kept Ensure close by their bedside, and i drank slimfast with my meals. Suzyjay said it like it is- this is a rough surgery that will turn your life around for a while. But you are being realistic and preparing yourself. I have not been released to do any exercises either, but there are some members that have gone mountain climbing in Europe and some are active military doing full workouts!!! So, the moral to the story is, do your homework, and keep up the good work to get ready- and Thank God you're only 24!!!! Lisa

Lisa, thanks for the advise!! I sure have one more reason to go to the gym now!!

Comment

C Bacon

Since I had a staph infection my doctor didn't recommend any physical therapy until I was feeling better. I was in a lot of pain from the infection, exercise would have been impossible. Now I am feeling much better and I am up to some exercises, but I have to wait until the doctor returns from vacation.

Sue

Comment

Canadian Bacon,

I was 12 when I had my surgery. So I certainly wasn't lifting weights before hand. I also got an infection from the surgery and that set me back another month. My surgeon had originally said I would be able to go back to school after 4-6 weeks. You will not be able to do alot of activities at first, your body has to heal and the fusion has to take (I think its 6-12 months for the fusion in adults, but I may be wrong). Your doctor will give you guidelines for when you can start running, sport, etc. They will get you up on your feet walking around pretty quickly. I will warn you that I find high imact aerobic activies like running too hard - too much stress on the spine. I also had trouble weight lifting. I tried but I just couldn't progress much with my back. You probably won't have that problem as you were able to do this before surgery. Since you are young and in good shape, you should heal quickly. I have seen posts from others in their 20s going back to work after 4-6 weeks. Keeping a positive attitude and staying motivated are key to recovery (easier said than done some days).
                  Audra
                  Diagnosed at 12
                  42T, 52L presurgery
                  surgery in 1994: fused form T1-L2, curves corrected to 25T and 25L
                  infection leading to surgery and 10 day hospital stay w/ strong antibiotics 3 weeks later

Comment

activities and restrictions

Originally posted by Canadian_Bacon
                    Hi,

I was just wondering, for those who have had spinal fusion (for scoliosis or kyphosis), how long after the surgery did you have to wait before you could be physically active for example how long before you could:

1. Walk long distances
                    2. Jog/Run for durations
                    3. Weight lift
                    4. Play sports such as tennis, golf, ski, etc.

I was hoping y'all could share your personal experiences.

Thanks,

*edit - also please tell me how old you are. I understand recovery is a lot faster for younger patients. I'm currently 24.
                    My daughter is 13 and only 2 weeks post op, but she was advised to do as much walking as she can and climbing stairs is permitted. She cannot lift more than 5 pounds. Riding in a car is ok but no driving. No sports or P.E. activities, no bending, twisting, and no housework. Ask your doctor before taking ibuprofen. Also tell your doctor or dentist that you have a spinal implant prior to having any procedures such as teeth cleaning or surgery so antibiotics can be prescribed. Go to school 4-6 weeks after surgery. (Part or full time)
                    The guidelines for activities at home that we were given with note are of course approximate and only a guide. (get permission from your doctor still)

6-8 weeks after surgery may lift up to 10 lbs., gentle bicycling, pay lightweight musical instrument, light household chores, gentle swimming: no jumping, diving, or competitive swimming.

3-4 months after surgery may throw ball, shoot baskets, dance, vacuum, mow lawn, and jog.

6 months after surgery may play tennis, soccer, golf, drill team, cheerleading (no pyramids), and limited amusement rides. It said roller blade, but I wonder on that one.

1 year after surgery almost all activities, but check with your doctor.

2 years after surgery unlimited (except trampoline)

Important restrictions-no tattoos and no body piercing (we were told risk of infection higher)

Hope this gives you a little guide but of course consult your doctor for yourself.
                    Last edited by Mom37; 08-15-2007, 02:43 PM. Reason: add
                    Shirley
                    Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Hi CB,

At your age you really should bounce back sooner than some of us older broads. Follow your doctor's advice, as to what he/she may give you. You may have therapy at home at first. I don't think that weight lifting will be on the top of the list of things for you to do, nor will running.

I was told to Walk, Walk, Walk. When you're used to being a very physical person, you might get impatient, but you must think of your healing process first. The last thing I wanted to do was cause myself any complications afterwards, because I didn't want to have to go through it again.

I do golf, but I was told running would cause added stress to the unfused areas. I do lift light weights now but I didn't start that for at least a year afterwards.

It's amazing how your body will let you know when you are doing something you shouldn't be doing!!!

Be patient,
                      Shari

Comment

Working...
                      X