Surgery Tomorrow (June 4th)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Tomorrow (June 4th)

Hi everyone, just checking in. My surgery is tomorrow!!!! The good thing is that I am not scared at all, I am actually excited . Everything has come and gone so quickly. After I get home from the hospital, which is approximatly Wednesday, I will either write here when I get better, or dictate to my mom and have her write. As most of you probably know, my surgery (like any other) is about 7 or so hours long. For me it will seem really fast, just like sleeping, and for my family it'll be the longest day of their lives. But I still cant believe how calm I am. I understand it'll be painful, but I am still not scared. The only thing I am truly thinking about is how bored I'll be for 7 or so days (I'll probably sleep the whole time though). One thing is for sure, I am glad after surgery I'll be able to wear the things I want to. Plus when I get home I will sit on the couch all day and play video games !!! That's all for now, talk to you all soon!!!
    ~Jill
    Surgery: June 4th, 2004
    Main curve: 44 degrees
    Location of Curve: Upper Right Part of Back
    Surgery Type: Posterior
    T4-T12

Best wishes to you Jill! We'll be thinking of you and your family tomorrow. I'll be anxious to hear how the surgery goes. Sending my best cyber vibes your way for a smooth and speedy recovery. Gentle hugs to you!
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Jill,

I remember your mom asking me for the list of question to ask the doctor....I'm so happy your not sacred or worried..I wish you can pass some of that my way...wishing you the best of luck and a easy time
      CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
      fused T4 -L3
      Hip graft
      Grown 1 1/2 inches
      25/o upper T 15/o
      53/o T 15/o
      37/o L 6/o
      Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
      New York City

August 6, 2004
      Pulmonary Embolism
      complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
      increasing pain at the T4/5
      point irratation heardwear

Comment

Thank you everyone!!!!
        ~Jill
        T4-T12

Comment

today is surgery

Right now it is 4:50 am, and I woke up at 4am. Today is the day of surgery!!!! I am so excited and once again not nervous (at least now....). I have to be down at the hospital by 6am and we are leaving the house a 5am. They said I could not eat past midnight, or drink past 4:30am. My calmness is making this situation a lot better. My operation is scheduled for 7:45am, but before that I have several lab things/final blood work I need to get done. This is my last post before surgery, and my last one for a while. I'll get back on as soon as possible, or I will have my mom write for me. Talk to everyone hopefully soon!!!!!!!!!!!!
          ~Jill
          T4-T12

Comment

Jill,

I said a prayer for you when I read your post today. you are probably in surgery as I write this. You will be in my thoughts and prayer. I am glad you are calm. God is in control. He will take care of you.

Lily

Comment

Hope everything went well for you and your recovery goes as well as Amber's has. Keep up the positive attitude it really helps.
              Cheryl

Comment

Jill K,
                Hope u recover soon. Write as soon as u can!
                I'll be praying for u!

Comment

Hi everyone!

I live in an area by Jill and we have the same doctor, so Jill and I (and our mothers) met about a week before her surgery, so they could ask us any remaining questions.

Her mother emailed me yesterday to say that the surgery lasted four hours and went well. Congratulations to Jill and her family, and good luck!
                  Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                  L2 to T4
                  Braced for 4 years
                  Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Here is the latest message from Jill's mom:

Doing well great nurses taking care of her.Off oxygen now.Small fever.
                    Liquids .Ice cream.Sit up tomorrow i think!
                    Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                    L2 to T4
                    Braced for 4 years
                    Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

That's wonderful. Hope the recovery keeps going well. Don't worry too much about the slight fever. Amber's temp went up and down for the first 5 days or so. Best of luck and warm wishes.
                      Cheryl.

Comment

New message from Jill's mom:

"Physical therapy was pretty rough. She was afraid of throwing up, but she didn't. She go pasty and so pale, even her lips were white! More Later. Some of the nurses here remember you!

Jill is resting nicely now after her first sitting up and then!!!ready
                        for this STANDING UP. She did great. White as a ghost, but she did it. Now she is sleeping. Physical therapy taught her some exercises and it was quite an ordeal, but everyone assures us it will get better. Jill still has a little temp of 101.4 but they tell us that is normal. She is still hooked up to her epidural and the pain team just visited her. Tomorrow physical therapy will get her up twice. Not eating yet, just juices (barely and by her choice) They said she could eat when ready. She still has quite a way to go but everyone tells us she is a superstar! Great nurses, doctors, what a place "
                        Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                        L2 to T4
                        Braced for 4 years
                        Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Jill's Update!

Thank you all! Jill will be so excited when she comes home and can read all your nice messages. It's true! She was wheeled in to surgery (the longest and hardest moment of my life EVER) at 7:45 am and at 12:30pm her doctor called us in the waiting room to say she was getting her incision dressed and then to recovery. We were with her by 1:30pm and were ready for a "scary puffy face" (Charlotte told us to take pictures) but she wasn't that puffy, I took pictures anyway as I am trying to make a teeny album for her to document her surgery. She is making slow progress but she has her pain managed so well (epidural) that she is a star in the floor at the hospital. She has many ups and downs and gets discouraged that she feels icky after having a great 2 hours of feeling like herself. I know this is all part of recovery. After physical therapy today (when she turned whiter than white when they had her stand up) I prayed that she would be farther along before they release her!!! But after that, she took a great nap and slept a long time and woke up feeling GREAT only to fade after about 2 hours and feel crummy again. WE will hang in there. I am glad it is behind us and her, she will get through this as will we. She really is doing well, but it takes time. Thank you one and all!
                          Jill's Mom - Surgery, Children's Memorial Hospital - June 4th, 2004

Comment

Dear Jill and her mom...

Wow, how brave you all were..congratulation on doing such a great job and having the thought of surgery behind you...now just focus on the recovery and before you know it you'll be back to your old self but better!!!please keep the play by play recover...it helps all of us and we are all so concerned.....Jill great job and hope to here from you soon. feel better fast
                            CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                            fused T4 -L3
                            Hip graft
                            Grown 1 1/2 inches
                            25/o upper T 15/o
                            53/o T 15/o
                            37/o L 6/o
                            Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                            New York City

August 6, 2004
                            Pulmonary Embolism
                            complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
                            increasing pain at the T4/5
                            point irratation heardwear

Comment

I'm so happy to hear surgery went well! Take the recovery one very small step at a time. Sounds like Jill is doing GREAT! Keep up the great work! May there be many more good days than bad from now on out. Woo-Hoo for Jill!
                              Carmell
                              mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
                              X