Sitting at computer pain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitting at computer pain...

I have a new job after standing all day with pain from my curve, now I sit all day and developed pain.I have a special cushion, but suffer from sacro pain (have a serola belt) neck, and back pain wher the rotation is in my ribs. I stretch on my breaks and change sitting positions all day. Any suggestions?

My doctor has me sitting for only 20 minutes at a time. He wrote a note for my employer for 'reasonable accomodations', and it looks like I'm off jury duty permanetly. Also have you considered using an exercise ball instead of a chair......a co-worker had one substituted for her chair by her chiropractor & she said it helps a lot......make sure you get it fitted properly.

A 'sit / stand' workstation is another consideration.....I am in a cubicle & had one part raised so I could stand......I move my keyboard & turn the monitor so I can see it when I need to stand; then flip it back when I need to sit. I also keep an exercise ball for stretching at lunch/breaks or read reports but have to use a chair for sitting at computer. Some of my co-workers want to use it too.....seems I started a trend in my office.

And I keep 'stretch bands' in my cubbie for some mild exercise. Try some mild yoga exercises at your desk to break the tension in the neck. I also keep a 'Bonger' in my drawer for kneading the tense neck/shoulder muscles & Biofreeze gel for a topical pain relief (it doesn't stink...yeah).

Be careful wearing the serola belt too much. I know it helps for I have one too. You also need to strengthen muscles & not let them depend on the belt. I wear Spanx high-rise body shapers everyday & they help me but I know I still need to strengthen the abs & back muscles. Then if I'm really hurting I put on the belt.

I've been there/ done that so I hope these ideas help

Comment

Spanx

Originally posted by harmoniesdj
      I wear Spanx high-rise body shapers everyday & they help me but I know I still need to strengthen the abs & back muscles. Then if I'm really hurting I put on the belt.
      Just wondering: How do the Spanx help you? Do you feel better (as well as look better)? What if you don't wear them--do you ache a lot more? Have you found a place that sells them for a good price?

Thanks,
      dsal

Comment

Well, yeah, I do look better......my fat bumps & bulges are smoothed out hee hee ........ BUT I mainly wear the high-waist SPANX for a degree of support that covers the hips, stomach & ribs. I have a variety of shapers I've collected over the years. They just allow me to sit a bit longer without collapsing. Then I try to get up every 30-40 min & walk/stretch/touch my toes. If I don't wear them (or some similar body shaper) I do find that I cannot sit as long.....probably ony 20 minutes at a time before feeling like I'm collapsing & ache.....seems like my hips lock & I cannot stand up straight thus the stretching.

I buy at Norstroms because they have a annual Spanx sale there every year in July....about 20% off ticket price....but you have to pre-order to guarantee stock for they sell out fast. So I end up buying 3-4 pairs & hand wash them in Woolite with air drying all year long (no dryers). Now others are getting on the 'Spanx' type shaper bandwagon and there are many brands on the market. You might find a similar shaper for a cheaper price at Target, JC Penny or similar store. Best to try it on & see how it feels. Hope this helps.

Comment

Spanx

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I could stand to use the Spanx for bumps and bulges, too. I guess I never thought of Spanx as having a role outside of that, lol. I should keep my eyes open for a good sale on them around here!

Thanks,
          dsal

Comment

Working...
          X