Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lasting leg pain and numbness?

Hi everyone,

Here I am with another question post-op. I'm 9 weeks post-op now and continue to have horrible upper left leg/hip/buttock pain, which also has areas of numbness. The pain is constant when sitting, standing, or walking and is very deep. Once in a while I will get a shooting sharp pain into my hip. My surgeon said he was somewhat worried that he might have to adjust a screw, but he was not sure yet.

Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms as these and if so, did they go away, what did you have to do about it, what other medical advice did you seek? I'm seeing another doctor this week to get another opinion. This worries me because I'm still taking extended release morphine and nothing seems to make the pain go away.

Thank you,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Originally posted by abhbarry
    Hi everyone,

Here I am with another question post-op. I'm 9 weeks post-op now and continue to have horrible upper left leg/hip/buttock pain, which also has areas of numbness. The pain is constant when sitting, standing, or walking and is very deep. Once in a while I will get a shooting sharp pain into my hip. My surgeon said he was somewhat worried that he might have to adjust a screw, but he was not sure yet.

Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms as these and if so, did they go away, what did you have to do about it, what other medical advice did you seek? I'm seeing another doctor this week to get another opinion. This worries me because I'm still taking extended release morphine and nothing seems to make the pain go away.

Thank you,
    Anya
    Hi Anya,

Sorry to hear about your pain still. I'm just over 10 weeks and my pain has gone my leg pain has pretty much gone only sometimes it will be there but it does get better. The numbness i still have and will for a while also my stomach is so bloated still does anyone know when that will go down i look PREGNANT?????

Hope you hear good news soon... Let us know how you go!!!

Lee
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

I had so many different pains so soon after my surgeries I couldn't even pinpoint which one hurt the most.

The healing process is so different for all of us, but I can remember thinking that every new pain meant that something was wrong. At each of my Doctor visits I would explain different things, and it was always a "wait and see" response. He would say "it's too soon to tell", and I would get frustrated and pissed off, but he was right!!!

I'm not saying that you shouldn't tell your Doctor about your aches and pains, I'm just saying that it's normal to have them and to be concerned about them!!!

Best wishes,
      Shari

Comment

Hi Anya,

I've had a "bum" right leg with pain, some numbness, and extreme weakness since surgery -- I do know that if it's nerve pain (sharp or shooting pains), narcotics won't touch it - only Neurontin or Lyrica can address nerve pain. Also, ice packs worked well for me. My nerve pain and numbness has subsided somewhat over the past couple of weeks -- the leg still hurts but in a different, muscle-achy kind of way -- I think it's trying to wake up.

I didn't realize how common leg problems are after this surgery -- certainly no one told me about it before hand, and certainly not my surgeon.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks for the info on the nerve pain drugs, Singer. I will ask my doctor about that tomorrow when I go in. Yes, I didn't realize how many people have leg/hip problems post-op.

Best,
          Anya

19 degrees post-op!

Comment

Hi Chris,

I hope you are doing better as each day goes by, I experienced different pains for many months after my surgery.

With each new pain, I thought that something else might be wrong. But I am convinced that a lot of the abnormal feelings we have, are normal, we just don't know they are!!! I don't think the doctor's even know how we are going to recover. Our bodies have just been readjusted!!!

This is such an extreme surgery that you have just gone through!!! Even though it's rough to have different complications during this process, it's normal.

As depressing as it may be, give it time, and let your body heal!!! You have been in my prayers and you will continue to be in them!!! We're all here for you!!!

Stay Strong,
            Shari

Comment

My doctor finally put me on Gabapentin (sp?) for my nerve pain. She said there is significant nerve damage in my left leg and hip area (which might also be causing the bulge in my stomach, but no one is quite sure). I hope this new medicine works. Thanks to all who helped give me the information that narcotics do not help nerve pain. I might have tried to wait it out longer, but being in this much pain does not help the recovery process.

Best,
              Anya

19 degrees post-op!

Comment

Oh how awful, Anya! Is this permanent nerve damage?

Chris

Comment

Hi Everyone

I am 6 weeks post op (anterior), and 5 weeks post op (posterior) which was done in 3 stages. I was bleeding too much during my 2nd stage of posterior so th dr had to finish the week after.

I had severe numbness in my buttocks, going down into my legs. They gave me neurontin and that helped the numbness in my legs.

I still have numbness and pain in my buttocks and in my hips (which is tolerable). I went to the dr. today, and he said that this was all normal from the anterior surgery.

I hope there is no permanent damage for me or for anyone else with this numbness/pain.

I guess only time will tell.

Feel Better Everyone
                  Maria

Comment

Anya

I looked pregnant for ages after my surgery - the bloating in my abdomen seemed to take forever to go. I do have a flat tummy (sort of - allowing for middle age spread) now so hang in there.

I hope the Gabapentin works for you - thats what I take.

BTW, I found a heat pack placed low down in the centre of my back (just below my waistband) really seemed to help with the nerve pain - much more than ice which just seemed to make it burn more.

Hang in there girl - we are all with you....
                    Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                    Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                    http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks all for your replies. Wow - I had no idea that so many of us suffered from this nerve damage. I guess it is not that surprising considering the size and risks of this surgery.

The doctors can't tell me if the nerve damage is permanent or not yet. I hope the gabapetin will significantly help the pain, and when I go back to the surgeon in September, I will ask for neurology tests to be done. My surgeon is wonderful and skilled, but I don't want to do a revision surgery (adjusting a screw or two) if he only THINKS that is what is causing the problem.

Best,
                      Anya

19 degrees post-op!

Comment

Working...
                      X