Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to work- very physical job

Hi All,

I haven't been online in a while, so my apologies for not answering your posts...

I'm wondering if anyone has gone through what I have in terms of returning to work.

I just hit the 7 month post-op mark and still haven't returned to work. I thought I'd be back by now and I can't even think of doing what I did! I am in sales.. I work for a custom clothing company, and my typical day is something like this- out seeing clients for 6-7 hours, walking to all appts (in NYC) and carrying bags filled with fabric swatches as well as garment bags with suits, and shopping bags with shirts and accessories. Usually if I pull a cart, the bag is about 50 lbs, and if I carry a shoulder bag it's about 30 lbs. My clients are usually within a 15 block distance from my office (I try to keep them somewhat close). After seeing clients, I'll come back to my office and sit at my desk and make calls, do paperwork, etc for about 3 hours.

I'm really concerned about returning, because I've been doing everything I'm supposed to.... walking every morning, PT three times a week and weight training. On days that I increase my weights or do "work conditioning" exercises (try to simulate carrying things like I would at work) I'm sore all day and cannot sleep at night.

For the most part, I'm functional without pain daily, but I still have days that I feel a lot of discomfort... and I'm not doing much of anything! I can't imagine so much physical work every day and being able to keep up.

My company is fine with me being out as long as I need to be. They want me to be ready to work as hard as I used to when I come back. (I don't get paid a salary, it's solely commission). I'm also nervous that I'll hurt myself and I know how important it is to protect my back for the first year.

Do you think I'll ever be able to return to that? Should I stay out of work longer in hopes that I'll feel strong enough to return? Or should I start looking for a career change?

Any feedback would be much appreciated... I'm sorry this is so long!
    Thanks again,

Lesly

I stand all day giving anesthesia. I went back to work after 6 months, one day a week, 4 hours to start. I gradually increased my schedule. It was a good year and half before I felt 100%. I was older and had a revision.

My suggestion: is it possible to work in a gradually increasing schedule with rolling luggage rather than using a shoulder bag?
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Karen. I'm sure that I would be able to go back part-time, the only problem with that is since I work on commission only, I don't even know if it's worth it... The less I work, the less I sell and then of course, the less I make.

I'm just concerned about hurting myself since everything is so heavy.

Maybe I should try a few days a week and see how I feel? I just don't want to push it since it's not necessary for me to be working yet. (I mean, I'm not struggling being out of work).

Comment

I work in retail, clothing manager, and I went back to work after 4 months, I was supposed to start slow but it is also a demanding job. Fortunately I have employees under me who watched me like a hawk. I definitely didn't do the physical aspect like I did before. I am almost at a year and now pretty much do everything that I did before. The only thing that does bother my back is if I lift a lot of boxes.
        surgery 9/06
        Rothman institute

Comment

Hi Lesly,

I am always impressed with those of us that are so wanting and willing to go back to our jobs. It seems to me that many of us here have been devoted and hard working people, something that's hard to find these days!!!

Our employer's want us back, but do we think of ourselves first, or them??? For me, that turned out to be the question and the answer. I personally thought of them first, and I made a mistake.

All I can say is, do what's best for you!!! Let your body heal!!! In my opinion, if you have to ask if it's time to back to work, then you may not be ready.

I know as an independent and competetive strong woman, I wanted to prove to myself, and everyone else, that I could do it. Once I realized I couldn't, I felt shame at first, and that, combined with the recovery process caused me great depression.

Don't get down. I did for the first year or so, but now I consider my scars as battle wounds, ones that I survived!!!

Shari

Comment

Thanks, Shari...

I, too, want to prove my independence. What's unique about my situation is that my company is not trying to make me come back yet... they told me to take as much time as I need, because they would rather me come back when I'm 100% ready than too early.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what Dr. Boachie says next week. You're right... I'm questioning this, so obviously my body is trying to tell me something! Hopefully after I see Dr. B I'll feel better with making decisions!

Comment

Hi Lesly,

I understand your conflict completely!!! All I have to say is listen to your body, and consider, with the utmost respect what Dr. Boachie has to say.

I have to laugh now, it wasn't funny then, but at my 3 month visit with my surgeon, still in my brace, I asked him if I could go back to work. I had asked him that same question at my previous visits, and he said, "okay Shari do you feel like going back to work" and when he said it, I had to think, and my response was no.

I had such a drive to go back to work, because that was what I had always done, but I realized that letting my body heal was the most important thing to me after that. I guess I haven't explained the revelation to well, but I just had this overwhelming feeling that my healing process came first!!!

Shari

Comment

Hi Lesly. I would definitely first see what Dr. Boachie says. It's great that your company is giving you whatever time off you need. Because your job is so physical, maybe it pays to wait a bit longer to start working again, and if you can, use a rolling bag or suitcase. I would think eventually you could do your job the way you used to, but maybe just make adjustments with the bags you have to carry with you. It's such a personal decision...you definitely want to listen to your body and give it enough time to heal...
                Good luck!
                Heather
                Heather
                Surgery date: April 20, 2004
                Anterior/posterior surgery
                Fused T-11 to L-5
                Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
                Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
                Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
                Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Hi Lesly!
                  My situation is exactly like yours- I am 8 months post op and also work on commission-the job is stressful and long hours and I can't imagine doing it yet! I too go to the gym and am doing what Dr. Boachie told me to do-weights, etc. but I still don't have the stamina and the energy to even think of putting in a full day. If I go back too early and don't perform my job as well as I should I will be "in trouble' so I am going to wait til I feel like my old self again. Plus I have an hour commute to the office-I too have been thinking I may need a career change. It just sounds too exhausting. Let me know what Dr. B says about your healing time!!
                  Cathie

Comment

Working...
                  X