Need to hear the good things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to hear the good things

Hello. This is my first post the forum, though I've read everything here. I recently began moving toward surgery--just had a myelogram yesterday (weird). I am 33 with a curve of somewhere between 62 and 72 degrees. That's an increase of almost 2 degrees a year since the last x-rays, so surgery is looking like the way to go. But I'm terrified. Reading the posts on this forum has been edifying in so many ways, but the majority of them are about concerns or problems. I would love to hear more wonderful things about the results of the surgery. Things like how much taller you got or how much better your clothes fit. Do you have more energy than before the surgery? Can you do more physically that you could before? Do you no longer have chronic pain? Were there other changes to your body that you didn't expect that were great like greater breath capacity or better digestion or something? Do you just love the way your body looks now? I would think you might, but I would really love to hear it so that I have those things to look forward to.

And that you all for sharing your experiences.
    Age 33
    40 degree diagnosed 1993; 70ish degree 2007
    Fusion to T9 to L5 October 3, 2007 with Dr. Kurt Von Rueden
    Corrected to 8 degrees

Hi SheGiles
    I'm 26 and had a 40 degree curvature in my lumbar area. I had a posterior spinal fustion on Monday from t12-L3. I can definitely relate to your fear. When they took me back Monday and gave me the gown to wear all I could do was cry because I was so scared.
    I can't give you long term information because I'm only 6 days post-op but I can tell you that I have been extremely surprised at my recovery so far. I'm able to get up and walk around with little discomfort (mostly a feeling of tightness in the muscles of my lower back). I'm doing well on the pain meds. My back hurts some about 30 minutes before my meds are due. But it's definitely a pain I can deal with. It's usually something that I can distract myself with through conversations, tv, etc. I will disclaim this with the fact that I've been told I have a high pain tolerance in the past.
    I think it's important to realize that the degree of curvature, number of vertebra to be fused and other specifics can really contribute to what you experience is. I tried my best to find people with curves in similar areas who were my age to determine what my surgery would be most similar to.
    I hope this helps, even if it's just a little. BTW, I didn't grow very much 3/10 of an inch but like I said my curve wasn't as severe.
    Lindsey
    Lindsey
    T-12 to L-3 posterior fusion
    Surgery July 30, 2007
    Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

Comment

Need to hear the good things

Hi Shegiles,

I have quite a few positives. I'm one and one half inches taller, I'm an alto in my church choir and discovered I can sing two notes higher and have better breath capacity. I feel like I had a tummy tuck- the 21" incision and fusion stretched my torso and my hips are even. I looked about 4 months pregnant before the surgery. Although I'm still struggling with pain it is very different than the pain I had before the surgery which was excruciating. Actually, I had the surgery for the pain not the deformity. When asked what my pain was on a 1-10 scale I said 12! I have no regrets about having this fusion at all, I just thought I'd be back to normal sooner. I am gradually getting my energy back, but some of that fatigue was from anemia.

dianeh
      ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
      T3- sacrum
      dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

I had the fusion done at age 20, and my curve was 70 degrees (at least). I have no regrets about having it done, I had less pain, and I lost my rib hump and my one hip was less noticable (nothing Fergie about 'my humps'). AND, I "grew" a few inches after the surgery. I put on a t-shirt that I liked to sleep in, and it ended up being indecent.

Following my surgery, I became a lot more active, and became involved in more stuff. I still have my limits, but I know how far to push myself.
        Although I still have pain, I can minimize this with regular swimming. I truly feel that the surgery was worth it for me, although a particularly difficult period in my life. I am also expecting an extension of my fusion soon, because my curve has progressed (which from what I hear about the newer surgeries, is rare).

I think you may find that a lot of the people who visit this forum, myself included, are looking for support. Therefore, the people who are just busy getting on with their lives after a successful operation, are less likely to be needing support and are too busy out snowboarding to spend time in here! Having said that, I go skiing etc.
        You have to make the right decision for you, there are lots of success stories out there.
        Best wishes for your future.
        Last edited by nzgirl; 08-04-2007, 07:16 PM.
        1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
        2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
        2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
        Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
        msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

the best thing for me...

Welcome aboard- I'm only 9 weeks post-op, so everything is trying to settle down and reestablish a new normal. The best thing for me, is being able to feel my sides and back, and see for myself, in the mirror, that it is normal, it looks like other people's back and rib cages. I have never, ever looked or felt normal, that i can remember. I even had to take pictures to see for myself and believe it really was true. Yes, it is a painful journey, but it will get better. By the way, the good correction was actually a benefit to the surgery- the surgeon only promised to halt the progression of the curve. he was surprised to get as good as results as he got. You will hear of many good things from the others- hope you have peace.

Wow, Lindsey- you are doing great !!!! 6 days !!!! i was still drooling....
          Lisa age 47
          T curve 69 degrees
          L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
          fused to from T-3 to sacrum
          anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
          pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

I have to agree with Crepehanger, my surgery was done, to not only do some correction, but mostly to stop the progression.

My before and after pictures are amazing to me!!! When my Mother saw my back for the first time after my surgery, she cried.

I am 2 years post-op and I still look at my back through a mirror with amazement!!! Yes, I have scars and I still have pain, but the pain doesn't even compare to what I had before, and I thought at first I would be ashamed of the scars, but I couldn't be more proud of them!!!

Shari

Comment

Well im a 22 yr old who is 10 weeks post op and i feel better then ever. I'm driving, been out for dinner, gone to parties even though i have my days where im sore as but i don't regret having this op at all....

I also grew 2 1/2 inches taller have a longer torso and feel heaps straighter there's probably more changes to come and see as im only in early stages of recovery still.

Everything gets better it just takes time. Make sure you think long and hard about this surgery you have to "Physically & Mentally" be ready for this surgery.

Good Luck!!!!!

Lee
              Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

I am 46 and am 8 months post op- my curve was 90 deg and I had kyphosis-so I had a large hump (that I hated!) The hump is gone and I can wear clothes now without feeling self conscious (last time I felt good in clothes I believe I was about 12!) I grew 2 inches also. I don't have pain anymore- my struggle has been with flexibility since I am fused T4-S1 and I am having knee pain from squatting so much but I am working on all that. Welcome to the forum- we are here to help!!
                Cathie

Comment

Hi---I am fused T11-L-5 and many good thgs to say about having the surgery! But it is a long recovery. I am now at the 1 year mark post-op and doing most things I always did prior to surgery. I just get extremely tired by early evening. Completely exhausted & wonder if it's my age(47) or just still partially recovery. who knows???? But it was well worth it in my case since I had such horrible digestion problems prior & now I'm fine.....Ly
                  ps. I went up an inch & also have a waistline! & no back hump!
                  Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 08-06-2007, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Surgery was the best thing I ever did. I was in excrutiating pain 24/7. I still have some discomfort but it is meaningless compared to what it was before. I feel so much better. I grew about an inch and a half. I have a waistline and I don't walk crooked anymore. Good luck with your decision you will know when the time is right.
                    surgery 9/06
                    Rothman institute

Comment

I had a posterior spinal fusion 13 years ago. While everything did not go perfectly smoothly (an infection right after and some pain issues now), I do not regret the surgery at all. I gained 2 inches, look very symetrical, and the rib hump is really only noticable to those who know abot scoli. But most importantly, the fusion stopped my scoli from progressing even more. And considering it jumped 12* in one month it could have gotten alot worse. I'm not that limited in my activies either. I just can't bend certain ways and stay away from high impact aerobics.
                      Audra
                      Diagnosed at 12
                      42T, 52L presurgery
                      surgery in 1994: fused form T1-L2, curves corrected to 25T and 25L
                      infection leading to surgery and 10 day hospital stay w/ strong antibiotics 3 weeks later

Comment

My curve was in my waistline, so gaining 3 inches in height there was fantastic. Clothes fit much better. I was very active and had little pain up until a few years ago when I had to have extra fusion removed. I was told when I was 16 that at the rate my curve was progressing that I would die by the age of 30 if I didn't have the surgery. My daughter had her surgery 3 years ago and is very active in dance. She has fantistic posture for ballet (she also does jazz, modern and this year is adding hip hop).
                        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hi Shegiles !
                          I have a lot of great stories that came from my surgery! I've posted on here a long time ago about my surgery...maybe you could search for those posts if you have the time. I'll try to sum up some of the great things for ya

- I was 5 foot 2 and now I'm 5 foot 4
                          - I love my body!!! I'm no longer self concious
                          - I can wear tight shirts and look great!
                          - I can see under my armpit now! so I can shave hahahaha
                          - I can bend over and touch the ground without bending my knees!
                          - If you get taller and keep the same weight, you look skinnier!
                          - I always feel strong and pround now because I know I went through this surgery without ever giving up on myself

- I could go on forever.....if you want the whole story feel free to email me...my email address is in my profile
                          - I guess the biggy is confidence. I've always had confidence issues....and now, (as bad as this sounds) I can actually show off my body!

I'll probably edit this post a million times and keep adding more great things

Have a great day!
                          Last edited by sparks42; 08-23-2007, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Hi! I am 25 years old and I'm about to hit my 6 month mark!! I could never fully express how much surgery has really changed my life!!! I had a 72-degree curve before surgery. I've grown 2 inches and I feel 100% better about my body. I don't feel so self-conscious. I have energy that amazes me each day. I use to be in a lot of pain and tired. I gained a better appetite after surgery and gained about 10 lbs. that is good because I am more healthy and at a healthier weight.
                            Amber

Comment

Congratulations to all of you- keep the good news coming! You should post pictures for us!!!! Lisa
                              Lisa age 47
                              T curve 69 degrees
                              L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                              fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                              anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                              pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Working...
                              X