physiotherapy and massage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• physiotherapy and massage

My daughter was diagnosed with very mild curvature 10-12 degrees by my pediatrician. she was pre-puberty age 13. Met an ortho surgeon, was pretty hands off and said we cannot do anything till we reach 20 degrees. I guess, if you are a surgeon you do not look at options other than surgery.That was in OCT of 2006. After deep questioning he said that it would help her to do some core strengthening excercises. My pediatrician, wrote me some scripps for physiotherapy - WHO IS AN EXPERT IN PILATES> The pilates component is very important.

We have had regular Physio 2 times a week and also deep tissue massage about once a week. Met with ortho surgeon in 6 months. He noticed reduction in curvature - but did not 100% attribute it to the physio and massage.

She has been doing tennis/horseback riding. My daughter has shot up asround 4 inches. She has started menstruating. Our last visit to the physiotherapist - she told us that she is almost straight. She said to continue the excercises and she will be fine. The massage therapist also noticed the marked change in the curvature.

So what worked for us - Physiotherapy - regularly and with a pilates expert, definetly believe that massage helped and also tennis. The idea is to keep active and keep strengthening the stomach and back muscles. Hope this helps other parents who are waiting and watching. Do not believe that you cannot do anything till the curvature reaches to 20 degrees. The point is to reduce it so that it never hits 20 degree and you do not have to go to the ortho surgeon.

i totally agree with you, surgeons do not look at options other than surgery. When i was at 50*L and 34*T we went to a back doctor who is a surgeon and a brace maker.. as i call .. haha and he said there is no other choise but surgery. From the day of the appointment he scheduled surgery for me for 4 months later!! my dad didnt want to go straight to surgery so we tried different ways until we got the my doctor in barcelona spain who refused for me to go right to surgery but to try bracing.. so we did and so far my curves are getting better..
    My name is Rotem
    I am 13 and in 7th grade
    Started with 2 curves:
    34º Therotical
    50º Lumber
    I currently wear a Cheneau Brace
    Got my 1st on Nov. '06
    Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
    Just got my 3rd one today (May7 '08)
    and im still trying to get used to it
    Hoping I won't need surgery
    I live in South Florida
    3rd check on November 17,2007,
    Got an X-ray done Feb. 5th, with EXCELLENT news!
    30º Theoratical
    37º Lumber
    4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

Did the phsyio use mat pilates or the reformer/pilates machine? I have a consultation tomorrow night with a physio who uses pilates as a method of rehab. I'm thinking of doing that and also enrolling in one of the pilates reformer classes offered there.

As far as the deep tissue massage did it take awhile to notice a difference in the tension/pain if there was any? I received a deep tissue massage about a month ago and I did not feel any less tense or relieved after the 80min massage. The therapist said I had more knots and was more tense than almost anyone she had ever seen. Did you see a massage therapist that knew about scoliosis or just a regular massage therapist?

Thanks for the advice/input. I believe I can fix/help my back using alternative methods (pilates, yoga, massage, physio, etc.) I'm just trying to find the right approach to take.

Comment

omg! really BETall?? ur the 1st person on this site that has the cheneau brace and does schroth therapy.. rigo is a wonderful doctor.. right?? we love him.. do u still wear the cheneau brace and do the schroth therapy?? do u have msn or aim so we can talk from there??
        My name is Rotem
        I am 13 and in 7th grade
        Started with 2 curves:
        34º Therotical
        50º Lumber
        Got my 1st on Nov. '06
        Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
        I live in South Florida
        30º Theoratical
        37º Lumber
        4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

My daughter is wearing cheneau brace and is doing Schroth exercises for almost 3 months now. Due to unavailability of english instruction last April/May, Dr. Manuel Rigo directed us to Beth Janssen of Scoliosis Rehab in Stevens Point, Wisconsin.

I am so glad to have sent my daughter there. She has now the tool of knowledge to help herself, instead of just waiting, doing nothing.

By the way, we came from Philippines....The people in that clinic are angel-in-disguise, they have helped us in so many ways. Without them it would not be possible for me to send my daughter to a Schroth clinic. I cannot thank them enough, including the hospitable people of Stevens Point.

My daughter's next x-ray is this month. She now don't feel the numbness at her shoulder that she once had.

Originally posted by ~ScoliosisGirl~
          omg! really BETall?? ur the 1st person on this site that has the cheneau brace and does schroth therapy.. rigo is a wonderful doctor.. right?? we love him.. do u still wear the cheneau brace and do the schroth therapy?? do u have msn or aim so we can talk from there??

Comment

Oo realyy edd?? how old is your daughter and how big/ small are her curves?? I would be really glad to talk to you daighter and get to know her.. since we have some things in common.. hope everything goes well for u and ur daughter.. my family, dr. rigo and i already see a slight change in my back and its all due to my resposibility of doing therapy everyday for about 30 mins and wearing the brace about 23/7..
            My name is Rotem
            I am 13 and in 7th grade
            Started with 2 curves:
            34º Therotical
            50º Lumber
            Got my 1st on Nov. '06
            Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
            I live in South Florida
            30º Theoratical
            37º Lumber
            4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

hello Rotem,

My daughter is 16 years old last April and just started her college last June....We only found out about her condition last February.....her curves are 37T/ 35L, she have S-curve ...that's why we did not easily detect it, because she looked balanced, Until her mom noticed the hump at her back while applying sunblock during family outing.

Sure, you can email her, I have sent you her email address on your private message. Philippines have a big time difference from US, see if you two can make arrangement about talking in YM maybe?

Best of health to you,
              Edd

Comment

Originally posted by ~ScoliosisGirl~
                Oo realyy edd?? how old is your daughter and how big/ small are her curves?? I would be really glad to talk to you daighter and get to know her.. since we have some things in common.. hope everything goes well for u and ur daughter.. my family, dr. rigo and i already see a slight change in my back and its all due to my resposibility of doing therapy everyday for about 30 mins and wearing the brace about 23/7..
                Congratulations scoliosisgirl ! You are beguining to be in control of your scoliosis. No ..." wait and see " .

Dr. Rigo and his staff , in Barcelona are great ! So are Beth Jensen PT and staff,in Wisconsin.
                I am also a Schroth Physiotherapist trainned in Germany and Spain and had a great opportunity to talked to them last May in Boston , during the mayor International Sosort Conference for the treatment of scoliosis. You can call me at (650 ) 494-2359

Comment

Working...
                X