Does anyone know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know

Does anyone know if having a staph infection would interfere with my fusion?

Sue

I had a staph (MRSA) infection. Because of the infection I had to go into surgery 6 times in 8 months to "debride", or clean out the wound. I had a "pic" line for several months and even with the vancomyacin and riphmpin the infection just went crazy. My doc finally had to remove my rods. I'm fused, but because the rods had to come out early my spine collapsed a bit,so I'm, not as striaght as I could have been.

I hope your doc is giving you some good doses of antibiotics. Best of luck
    Sandy
    SandyC

Comment

I have been on Zyvox 600 mgs pills for over a month. After being on it for a week the doctor was surprised by how good my blood test numbers were. He said I was responding very well to the antibotic. A couple of weeks ago I my blood test showed the numbers all normal and infection was gone, but I haved to be on meds for another couple of weeks so it doesn't return. The Zyvox started to make me sick, so I had to come off it. Now I am on an IV line of another antibotic I forgot the name, begins with a B, . I am supposed be off the meds in two weeks and back to the doctor for more blood tests.

Sue

Comment

I really hope your infection stays away & that you feel much better very soon. You sound like a very strong person & I'm sorry you had to deal with a staph infection after such a major surgery.

Take Care,
        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
        X