Back at work and driving finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back at work and driving finally

I have been back to work for three weeks now and boy it was hard especially I am on antibotics (sp) for an infection and the medicine was making me sick to my stomach and at times throw up. I carried a plastic bag with me in case I had to throw up but now the doctor changed my medicine and I feel much better this past week. Today I drove, it is find of hard backing out because I am having trouble twisting around to see. I haven't had physical therapy yet - doctor is waiting for my infection to clear up, but I was hoping my twisting will get better with therapy. Does anyone have any tips for driving?

Sue

Hi Sue,

I am amazed that you are back to work so soon and doing so well!!!

Again, I feel like a wimp!!! Keep up the good recovery, and I'm so happy for you!!! You have acomplished more than I could so soon after surgery!!!

Shari
    Last edited by Shari; 08-01-2007, 01:35 AM.

Comment

I'm amazed too. Do you still have some exhaustion? The worst part of driving for me ever since my first surgery is the twisting. I doubt it will get very much better for you. You might want to look into an oversized rear view mirror. It helps (if you can get used to using it).

Shari, I feel like a wimp right along with you. At the slow rate I'm progressing, I don't think I'm going to be up to work or anything else of consequence before the New Year. And as active a person as I usually am, it's really driving me crazy to be so inactive.
      FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
      10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
      8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
      5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
      2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
      3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

I actually had a surgeon tell me that I'd be able to go back to work in six to eight weeks. That's when I realized that he can't be doing too many surgeries on us oldies. I'm close to 60 and would require extensive surgery. From what I'm reading in these posts, I think I'd be doing good if I was able to go back to work in six to eight months.

Chris

Comment

Chris - I think you're right about us oldies, even though we hate to admit it. After my first surgery, I went back to work at 3 months and it only took about two days for my boss to tell me to go home. They graciously allowed me to work from home (on budgeting, yuk!) for about 3-4 weeks, then I went back part-time for probably another 3-4 weeks. Then for quite awhile, I would come home so exhausted I would head right to bed. Now I'm 64 and this time it feels like it might be even longer, only this time it's more the pain than the exhaustion. Nah, it's a toss-up!
          FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
          10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
          8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
          5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
          2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
          3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

I went back to work in January after my op in October. Wish i'd waited a little longer, now. The emotional stress was as bad as the physical to me. Please don't push yourself and don't be surprised if your anxiety level increases. I think it's part of the package.

Comment

I am going into my fourth week of work and the difference from the first two weeks is amazing. I was worried I may be going back to work too soon, but getting out of the house interacting with people and moving around a lot more, it was the best thing I did. I feel so much better.

Sue

Comment

Hi Sue,

I just can't help but be so happy for your great recovery!!! Even with your complications you seem to have rebounded so well. I'm amazed, curious and naturally envious.

Can I ask how long your fusion was?

Shari

Comment

Shari

I am fused from T4 to L4.

Comment

I started back to work on Monday July 30th, about 3 and a half months post op. I am exhausted, but capable. For the first time since surgery I am able to fall right asleep, so that is a plus!

Comment

Hi Sue,

For what it's worth, I think you're doing GREAT!!!

Shari

Comment

Good for you, Azalea! Make sure you don't push things though. I'm sure you're being careful.......

Brynn

Comment

I still have some limited flexibility with the side to side twisting, I use my mirrors for backing now! I also can't really get stuff off the back seat either. But it's not painful when I try and twist!
                          I'm T9 to L2
                          1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
                          2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
                          2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
                          Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
                          msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                          X