Dr Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital

Does anyone here have any GOOD stories about having Dr. Pashman (Cedars-Sinai in LA) as your (or someone you know) surgeon? I am having surgery with him in October. I am in Las Vegas and there was a great write up in the newspaper here on Dr. Pashman. I spoke with the person who wrote the article and he had a sucessful outcome with him. Just wondering if anyone else has had surgery with him. I am 50 yrs. old and I heard that he has done over 3000 spinal deformity surgeries and works on adults also. Does that sound like alot of surgeries that he has done?

Let me know what you may know

Thanks everyone, Debbie
    A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
    T2 to Sacrum
    Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
    Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
    Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
    Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
    Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Hi Debbie,

I have no knowledge of Dr. Pashman, but I'm sure someone here will have heard of him. Linda R. may respond to this, she is on the West Coast and very aware of our situation's and the Doctor's that are experienced in that kind of surgery.

But when I was looking for a surgeon, I wanted one that did adult scoliosis surgery regularly. 3000 surgeries sounds like a lot of experience to me, but I'm no expert.

Be patient, someone with more knowledge than I will respond to your concerns!!!

Good luck,
    Shari

Comment

Dr. Pashman patient

Dear Debbie,

This is my first post. I like to read about other people's progress and struggles, but have never jumped in there with my own experiences until now.
      Dr. Pashman did my spinal fusion (T2-sacrum) anterior and posterior surgeries last April at Cedars-Sinai. Since he wasn't a participating member of my insurance plan, I had to feel that he was the best and worth every dollar of our savings. During my hospital stay I had several staff members tell me that his abilities were held in the highest respect, and I knew that I had chosen wisely. He first impressed me as very professional and direct, but as I came to know him better, I've seen his "softer" side. During some complications I encountered in the hospital, he remained calm and reassuring. At my post-op visits he has been very supportive and understanding of my roller coaster emotions. As for Cedars-Sinai, "hospital to the stars", I can't imagine going through my recovery anywhere else. I was put in a "penthouse" in the acute care unit, moved to ICU, then eventually into rehab. All rooms were private. The only time I shared them was when a family member spent the night with me. I can't stress how much I needed and appreciated that privacy. I was there for 22 days so I met dozens of nurses, therapists, doctors,and technicians. My experiences with them were at least 95% positive. If you're fortunate enough to qualify for their rehab program, go for it. The therapists are top notch and I was told it's quite prestigious to be selected for internships there. When I got home I was almost completely able to care for myself within a week or two (although I took advantage of lots of pampering). In case you're wondering, I'm 59 years old and my recovery is moving at a good pace (or so I'm told). It will never be fast enough for me!

Best of luck to you,

Cathy
      Cathy, age 60
      A/P fusion surgeries April 2007,
      T2-sacrum
      Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai, L.A.
      T correction 45 - 24 degrees
      L correction 66 - 46 degrees

Comment

Hi Cathy,

I just thought I would welcome you to this forum and tell you how much comfort you have just given anyone that is considering having this surgery with Dr. Pashman.

We all know what it's like to be a lurker on here, I found it almost addictive at one point before my surgery, but didn't really think I had anything to contribute, and wasn't sure I would be accepted. My first post here was out of total fear.

Congratulations on your wonderful outcome and your great experience with your Doctor and hospital!!!

It's nice to see that you have joined in, and I'm looking forward to hearing what else you have to say!!! And letting us know more about you and your recovery!!!

Welcome again,
        Shari

Comment

Welcome Cathy,

Thank you so much for that very comforting reply about Dr. Pashman. I was seen by 3 other surgeons in Las Vegas (where I live) and was not comfortable with any of them, which you need to be with a surgery as big as this one. Dr. Pashman really seems to know his stuff. By the way I will be 51 yrs. old this month and my surgery is this coming October. That is amazing to me that you seem to have bounced back so quickly and with us being considered older patients, that's wonderful!! Did you work out alot before your surgery? I try to walk the treadmill at least 3 times a week.

I'm happy that you have found this forum to be helpful to you. I know it has helped me alot. This forum is very informative for us with spinal deformaties. I am so happy to hear that you did so well a couple of weeks after surgery and I hope that you are still recovering as smoothly as possible.

Thanks again for your words of encouragement!!!

Debbie
          Last edited by DebbieM; 08-06-2007, 12:05 AM.
          T2 to Sacrum
          Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
          Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
          Bevery Hills, CA

Comment

Debbie,

I consider myself an average 59 (60 next week) year old woman in good health. I had pretty much given up exercising before surgery due to pain. Dr. Pashman didn't ask me to do any prepping so I didn't. He was pleased that I wasn't overweight. In rehab I realized I had good strength, balance, and a determined mind-set. My weakness was flexibility so the PTs stretched me to tears. Once home, I couldn't put myself through anymore pain than what I was already dealing with so stretching was out. Now, four months down the road, I am tired of not being able reach beyond my knees and have started to "feel the burn" with my exercises 2-3 times a day.

How was your consultation with Dr. Pashman? You didn't mention that you met with him. Las Vegas is a long way to travel so I'll be curious to see how you handle it. Keep posting as I would like to follow you on your "journey". Waiting for your surgery date is the worst!!
            Cathy, age 60
            T2-sacrum

Comment

Cathy,

Yes, I agree that the waiting is tough. I met with Dr. Pashman last April. One thing that has stuck in my mind is when he said to think of this as a positive thing. Have you read the book "The Secret"? It's all about being positive and attracting good into your life. Great book! I do believe in the "mind set" for going through this surgery.

I still have not decided on the traveling part of it yet. I think we might drive back home in a large SUV with an air mattress in back. I hear that flying can be tough because you have to sit and be buckled in. I'm still on the fence about that one.

So have you gained any inches in height? I'm only 4'11" and he said I would gain 2 to 3 inches. Being as short as I am, that makes a big difference. Of course this is not the reason for surgery...mine is also due to the scoliosis pain.

Let's keep in touch

Debbie
              T2 to Sacrum
              Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
              Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
              Bevery Hills, CA

Comment

Traveling is tough. I had a 45 minute drive upright in an SUV from the hospital to home, and I felt that I couldn't have gone much longer. Lying down is the way to go.

I gained the 1 1/2 inches I had lost in height. I lost the "frumpy" look of middle age and now stand like a ballerina. Even though I feel very swayback, everyone says I look great.

How much of your spine is being fused? I'm sure Dr. Pashman stressed his theory on the importance of balance. I originally thought I would only need surgery to correct my lumbar region. He told me that people who do this often end of coming back later for more surgery as their upper torso starts to bend forward. At my age, I was only planning to do this once, and I had watched my grandmother suffer with her scoliosis until age 97. She had lost at least a half foot in height and her back xrays resembled a pretzel. My goal with this surgery was to avoid this fate.

I haven't read any positive-thinking books as I'm a pretty positive thinker already. In the hospital Dr. Pashman asked me if I'd ever considered lecturing on the topic. I just laughed.
                Cathy, age 60
                T2-sacrum

Comment

Hi Cathy,

I sent you a private message
                  T2 to Sacrum
                  Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L