My Surgery is Monday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Surgery is Monday!

My surgery is monday so I've finally had the nerves hit me. There have been a few nights recently when I was lying in bed crying because I'm freaked out about the recovery. I do have a question...
    I'm not a back sleeper. After surgery can you sleep on your side?
    Thanks! Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers
    Lindsey
    T-12 to L-3 posterior fusion
    Surgery July 30, 2007
    Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

yes......you can..

well, we have been where you are and we're here with you. According to the paperwork they sent home from the hospital with me,either side is okay, with knees and hips flexed and a pillow between your knees, being careful not to pull your knees up too close to your chest, and do not allow the top leg to fall forward as this would cause your lower back to twist. Keep your chin up and let us know how when you get home- are you going to come straight home or go to rehab first? Stay busy with people and things you enjoy and try not to worry yourself sick. Wishing you a great outcome ! Lisa
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

if i remember correctly...the first couple nights in the hospital I only slept on my side. The nurses would come in every 2-3 hours and pull the sheet and gently turn me on my other side since I couldn't really move by myself. and yeah, i think the pillow between the legs helped for comfort too. it hurts to lay on your back because the bandages that cover the incision are thick and if you lay back on it, it kind of feels like youre laying against a baseball bat, at least it did for me. pain meds are key. obviously it's painful but it's bearable. and it will make you a stronger person too definitely bring movies to watch in the hospital too...but not too many comedies...it hurt when I started laughing so hard!!! lol best of luck, ill be praying for you, let us know how it goes, you'll do great!!!!!!!
      Hey, my name is Meg
      Had idiopathic scoliosis when I was younger--it worsened to 64 degree curve
      Had spinal fusion in 2001 when I was 14
      Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!
      http://www.scoliosis.org/store/scoliband.php

Comment

Good luck to you! I was not a back sleeper either but it's the most comfortable position for me now. I am also able to sleep for short periods on my side (the non-incision side) with a pillow between the knees.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Best of luck to you. We will all be sending good surgery vibes your way on Monday. One thing that helped calm my nerves the morning of surgery was to listen to uplifting songs on my ipod and just joke around with my family members. Make sure you surround yourself with things that make you comfortable (music, movies, pictures, etc.). I wouldn't worry about sleeping positions at the moment. As others have said, you will be turned onto your sides, as well as your back. We all admit that it is difficult to get comfortable at first, but it will get better (as I am discovering now).

Hang in there and best of luck.
          Anya
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Will a family member or friend be able to post status updates on this site? You will be in my thoughts on Monday. Best wishes for a good outcome and an easy recovery.
            As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Hi Lindsey,

I was not a back sleeper either but at first you will sleep no matter how they lie you. I mostly went from one side to the other while lying down. They can help turn you at first. The weird part was that I kept sliding downwards in the bed and couldn't pull myself back up and would have to ask people to pull me back to the top of the bed!!

Deb
              posterior surgery 7/24/06
              T5-L5

Comment

Surgery Monday

Good luck on your surgery Monday. You will be in my thoughts. I am scheduled to have surgery with Dr. Lenke on August 27th. I am really anxious to see how well you do. Good luck and let us know how you are as soon as possible.

Comment

I also want to wish you the best of luck and you will be in my thoughts and prayers as well!!!

Shari

Comment

you'll be in my thoughts and prayers too.... Please let us hear from you as you recover! (((hugs))) JoAnn

Comment

Best of luck Lindsey! You'll be in my prayers.

Ann
                      44 year old female
                      Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                      Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
                      Posterior Only, 9 hours
                      Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
                      Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Thank for everyone's feedback and support. I really appreciate it.
                        Dr. Lenke says I'll be in the hospital for 4-7 days and wants me to stick around St. Louis for 3-4 days after I'm released before heading to my parents house in Alabama.
                        My parents should be updating my information on a site called thestatus.com
                        My last name is Stephens and the password is agdgrl426
                        Thanks again for everything!

Lindsey
                        Lindsey
                        T-12 to L-3 posterior fusion
                        Surgery July 30, 2007
                        Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

Comment

Working...
                        X