Do I need a second opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a second opinion?

My local ortho referred me to Dr Bridwell and I have an appt the end of August. I know of Dr Bridwells' excellent reputation and I will be traveling
    10 hrs/600 miles to see him. My question is, since there is no one any closer that has the experience that he has and that additional travel would be a burden (time and money), is it necessary that i get a second opinion when I know he is one of the best in the country???
    Jan Lotherington,
    56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
    A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
    at age 55
    Dr Bridwell

Hi Jan-
    I live in Atlanta and traveled to see Bridwell also- as well as Dr. Boachie in New York. I chose Boachie but I have (had!) a very severe case and felt he was more qualified. But you have chosen a very qualified surgeon to go see and I would not be hesitant at all if I were you to use him. My doctor here in Atlanta was the one who gave me both their names. Best of luck!
    Cathie

Comment

Hi Jan,

I live near Chicago and have seen three qualified surgeons here. The first one who has an excellent reputation for whatever reason does not want to do my surgery. This I surmised after seeing him three times within a year and never actually getting a recommendation for surgery from him. Perhaps he’s just not up to the challenge. I am 58 and have severe scoliosis. The second surgeon who I liked very much and who did recommend surgery just did not give me the sense that he has enough experience with complex older adult cases. I think he’s an excellent choice for those who are considerably younger though. And the third surgeon who is a highly-respected and sought after veteran in his field literally scared the crap out of me. I saw Dr. Bridwell last year and was amazed when he came into the examining room and within 15 seconds summed up a plan of action. And if it were not for the fact that I am alone and have no one to accompany me to St. Louis for surgery, I would be scheduling surgery with him today. When you see Dr. Bridwell, be sure to plan on spending a good part of your day there. I had an early appointment and even at 7:30 a.m. when I walked into his office, it was already packed with patients and I had a long wait.

Good luck.

Chris

Comment

I didn't get a second opinion. I know it might have been somewhat foolish, but I immediately felt comfortable with my Dr, his experience and confindence in surgery being an integral part of my scoliosis. To date (4 weeks post op, to the day!) I have zero regrets. I went with my gut and it worked out. I believe that if you feel comfortable with the Dr, you are in good hands, seeing as you already know he is very well qualified.

Good luck with the trip, and with whatever decision you decide to make!

-Sonia
        Sonia
        58*
        Surgery 6/29/07
        T3-L4

Comment

Working...
        X