Healing Statements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healing Statements?

It has been awhile since I posted, and I was never a regular anyways, so you have probably forgotten all about me

My surgery is less than 3 weeks away. I'm doing quite well, definitely better mentally than I thought I'd be at this point. Alaskan summers have a tendency to get away from you, and I find that I have to remind myself to focus on my upcoming surgery! I want to know that everything is in order, and that I've been taking the right vitamins, etc. before I head down to Seattle.

Another thing I've done to prepare is buy Peggy Huddleston's "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster." It really promotes being pro-active in our surgeries, thinking positively, and not having a "do with me what you will" attitude. It really helps type-A's like me! Anyways --- I was wondering, for those of you who have listened to this CD or read her book, what healing statements did you find helpful in your own experience? I'm curious about others thoughts on this.
    31 year old female
    55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
    T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
    Xray, 3 mos. post-op
    Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

can't help you there....

Hey Geo- I remember our conversations about your traveling from Alaska to have your surgeries- wow, the time flew by! I have not read the book, but I would have if I had thought about it- some one else posted about it on an older post, so i know someone can help you- I want to wish you good luck and hope you post us and let us know how you are doing- just remember, you don't have to measure up to anyone else's yardstick but your own. God Bless- Lisa
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

My friend passed along the book to me, but without the CD. However, I did take one of those back pages out with the healing statements and gave it to my surgeon right before surgery. I crossed a few of the lines out (such as "I will be hungry for. . .") and replaced some with more general statements as "I will wake up from surgery feeling peaceful and healing well." My surgical team seemed receptive to these statements . . . whether they actually did them or not, I don't know.

Best of luck with your surgery!
      Anya
      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi,

I used that book and CD. Make sure you take that CD to the hopital and any others that are like it. At least for me it really helped. As far as the healing thoughts I don't remember what was said because when I was at the hospital that morning my dear friend and husband were putting the final touches on the thoughts. We attached them to the clip board as I was wheeled down to the holding area. I reminded the nurse and doctor about them. I was not sure if they were going to use them or not, but they did. My surgical nurse said to me the doctor had his team stating everything I had requested. I do remember waking up calm and peaceful. One thing that you might want to try is adding that you will be able to urinate and pass gas easily. Maybe it will help prevent an illius. Sounds stupid, but you really want your stomach to bounce back as quickly as possible. Other than that I remember using the the examples. Sorry, I am not of more help.

Best of LUCK! Remember to BREATH!

Kari

Comment

Healing Statements

Dear Geo,

I found Peggy Huddleston's book and cd very helpful. I transferred the cd to my iPod so I could carry it around and used it in the hospital and at the rehab center between and after both surgeries. Using WORD, I personalized the healing statements to fit my personality and needs, and I even inserted some Clipart and photos so they were very personal. I put a few copies in page protectors so they would be clean and easy to find. I discussed them with my surgeon who was supportive and gave copies to both the anesthesiologist and the circulating nurse who promised me they would be used. I believe that they were read to me because ice chips tasted like ice cream to me! Kari's suggestion about urinating easily and passing gas easily are good ones, and I also included them.

I'm a little more than six weeks post op from the stage two surgery. My outcome is more than I ever hoped for: my legs and feet are free of pain and numbness, my rib hump is GONE, I am three inches taller, and I have enormous gratitude for Dr. Frank Rand's skill and care!

Best of luck to you!
          Linda W.
          Linda
          Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
          S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
          Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
          Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Hi Linda W.,

Congratulations, it sound like you doing really well!!!

I must have missed what this book and cd are all about, it makes me so curious, but it also reminds me of how out of touch I really am. Can you give me some information on it???

Thank you, Shari

Comment

Peggy Huddleston's Guide

Shari,

Many hospital gift shops carry Peggy Huddleston's "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster" and the relaxation cd. Many hospitals also offer her one-hour phone workshops at no cost to their patients -- surgical as well as cancer patients. You can also call 1 800 726-4173, visit the web site www.HealFaster.com or Goggle "Peggy Huddleston" for additional information or to place an order.

Linda
              Linda
              Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
              S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
              Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
              Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Thanks Linda,

That is very interesting!!! I wish I would have known about it before my surgery.

Shari

Comment

I have been meaning to thank you all for your responses. Life has been busy! I have made it down to Seattle, went to my pre-op and pre-anesthesia appointments yesterday, and only have 5 days to go until surgery!
                  I presented copies of the healing statements I put together to the physician's assistant, his nurse, and the anesthesia nurse. It was the first time any of them had heard of the concept. I explained the reasoning behind them, and why I'd like them to be utilized during my surgery, and was met by very open but still uncertain responses. Same when I asked about bringing my cd player into the OR. It was a little surprising to me, since U. of Washington Medical Center is so huge. Can I really be the first person to have asked for either of these?
                  Oh well, I will bring both my healing statements and my cd player on the morning of surgery and hope for the best!
                  31 year old female
                  55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
                  T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
                  Xray, 3 mos. post-op
                  Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

I'll be sending out good thoughts to you in a few days for your surgery. I hope you are doing lots of fun activities in these days leading up to surgery. Treat yourself to something nice and keep positive.

Best,
                    Anya
                    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you for posting this discussion, I have found it quite helpful since I have decided to go ahead with revision surgery in December. I'm currently part way through a doctorate in clinical psychology, so I have been particularly interested in preparing for surgery psychologically as well as physically. My last experience was unpleasant, but I think a lot of that had to do with not speaking up when I needed to. My plan is to get fit and strong prior to the surgery, ask friends and family to loan me their trashy magazines, novels, tv shows, DVD's etc... and take a proactive approach through the whole thing. So I think I will see if I can find the book reccomended in this thread also!
                      1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
                      2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
                      2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
                      Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
                      msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

healing statements

I did a hypnosis tape with a therapist about 6 months before the surgery. I would listen to it regularly before the surgery and got permission from my surgeon to take it into the OR. It really did calm me as I was awake for about one half hour before they put me to sleep, and didn't premedicate me, which I would have asked for had I known.

dianeh
                        ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
                        T3- sacrum
                        dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

Healing statements

Dear geo,

Today is August 17th so I guess you are 2 days post-op. I hope things went really well and you are not in too much pain and if you are they are giving you some good pain medication.

My best to you,
                          dianeh
                          ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
                          T3- sacrum
                          dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

Working...
                          X