Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7/30 is Erica's turn-any last minute advise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/30 is Erica's turn-any last minute advise?

It seems as this is really going to happen now. Erica is scheduled for next Monday, July 30th, 2007 for an anterior fusion from the L3-T11. She will be having this at Rush Hospital in Chicago with Dr. Christopher DeWald.

It did help immensely when I got to talk to one of his past successful patients, and I will definitely post our experiences as well, as when I was searching for a Dr., this site is where I turned to.

We live in Florida and Erica will be staying with her Aunt and Uncle after in Chicago for up to 6 weeks. When she returns, she will be starting a new school and in 9th grade. Very tough all around- allthough, I do realize this is nothing compared to what many of you go thru-

Is riding the bus okay? I know I have much more than that to worry about, but just wondering about that too!

I am so nervous about everything-any last minute advise?

Thank you!!
    Laura
    Erica (14 years old) 52 L and 34 T
    Last edited by Laura in JAX; 07-26-2007, 02:54 PM.

Sending best wishes to Erica for Monday. She'll do great, I'm sure. There are lots of details, but I'm sure you are aware of most of them. Keeping track of the pain management plan is probably most important. Make sure she has her pain meds on schedule - having breakthrough pain is not good. It is so much harder to play catch up to the pain.

Bus riding may be okay if its a short distance. Too much bouncing will be more uncomfortable than damaging to the fusion, although it is possible that it would disrupt the fusion. That fusion needs 6+ months (or more) to be solid. Braydon's biggest complaint after surgery is the bumping rides in the car. Buses are much more bumpy than cars. Good luck with that.

Make sure there is an adult with her 24 hours to advocate for her needs. She'll need that while in the hospital. After she's out of the hospital, she'll need someone to help with reaching, lifting, etc. She should never twist her body. Have her practice log rolling to get in and especially out of bed. Things like that.

Good luck and let us know if you have more questions.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
    X