family unity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• family unity

Am I just imagining this, or do some families get shirts or sweatshirts made up that have their child's name that they can all wear to the hospital when visiting. I found a website and thought I can put Team Nicole up at the top of the shirt and then either have dancing images or Nicole's actual photo put on there. I know all of this is totally unnecessary. But I kind of like the idea. I thought I could get one for each of us.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

I love all your ideas, Melissa! I don't think any of it sounds uneccessary. It sounds like a way to make a trial a blessing! You're a great mom and a great friend!
    If Rachel continues to progress, I'm taking notes on how you have done this! You are amazing!
    Hugs!
    Cheryl
    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

"Team Nicole" - I absolutely LOVE the idea!!!

I agree with Cheryl that you are amazing for coming up with something like this. One's mindset (both parent and child) can make all the difference in the world!
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

i absolutely LOVE the idea tooo!! go team nicole and i hope everything turns out for the best!
        My name is Rotem
        I am 13 and in 7th grade
        Started with 2 curves:
        34º Therotical
        50º Lumber
        I currently wear a Cheneau Brace
        Got my 1st on Nov. '06
        Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
        Just got my 3rd one today (May7 '08)
        and im still trying to get used to it
        Hoping I won't need surgery
        I live in South Florida
        3rd check on November 17,2007,
        Got an X-ray done Feb. 5th, with EXCELLENT news!
        30º Theoratical
        37º Lumber
        4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

Melissa, that's such a good idea!
          I'm sure she'll love it!
          Are you going to tell her about it, or just surprise her at the hospital?

HI
          Im 15
          im pretty outgoing
          JV Cheerleader-woot woot :]

my curves are:
          in the 30s.
          somewhere in or around there.

i have a spinecor brace.

Comment

Nicole thinks the idea is ridiculous and doesn't want us to get the shirts. I still may get one for Ed and myself. I know it would make us feel better to have something like that. So it would be worth it for just that reason alone.

Chris,

I hope everything is okay with Daniel. I will be thinking about you on Wed. I have to tell you how much Nicole has enjoyed watching that video. Besides the fact that it is one of our favorite songs (and so appropriate), you did such an amazing job showing the various before and after visuals. I have seen a few other videos and they didn't compare to yours. Thanks again for making it and giving my Nikki the feeling that she is not alone.
            Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Teens

From my experience with teens, they think most things we think of and do are ridiculous! Daniel thought the video I made was stupid, and I did it any way because I knew better. When you're in a hospital for five days and there are different nurses on every shift, for a total of more than 15 different nurses during a 5-day stay, and you're there 24/7, anything you do to create unity will help. The nurses won't stare at you in the hall on day 3 like you're a stranger when you ask for something, they'll see that you belong to Team Nicole! Get some extra larges to sleep in at night, get some funky colors, give them out to visitors. CREATE some JOY! You know, inside, Nicole wants it, she needs it, ... she's just too much of a teenager to admit it! Sure, she'll give you grief- but in a couple years, she'll laugh and laugh about it and remember how loved she felt. (Disclaimer: This is my opinion only... just an opinion, but based on YEARS of raising two teen daughters and a son...)
              Chris:
              Mom to Jessica (21), Andrea(19), and Daniel (16).
              Daniel had surgery 7/2/07 from T3-L1 to correct three curves, the worst of which was 57 degrees.

Comment

Team Sweatshirts

Melissa,
                Nicole may have said no, but im sure she would really appreciate you doing this for her. I understand her mindset. I would be totally embarrassed if my parents did it, but then I would know that they really cared about me. I would still do it if I were you.

HI
                Im 15
                im pretty outgoing
                JV Cheerleader-woot woot :]

my curves are:
                in the 30s.
                somewhere in or around there.

i have a spinecor brace.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine63
                  From my experience with teens, they think most things we think of and do are ridiculous!
                  That is SO true.

I couldn't help but chuckle when I read that.
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com
                  Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                  Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

You are all probably right. I have this purple shirt I just bought because I always feel as though I don't wear bright enough colors. She hates it. She told me I look like a wizard in it. She calls it a wizard shirt. I told her that maybe I will wear it when she gets out of surgery so that if she insults me when she sees me, I will feel good and know she is okay. Mary Lou, I am thinking about when Jamie told you your hair was a mess!!!
                    Melissa

Comment

Melissa,
                      I love this idea. Do you have the website you could send to me? mel48315@wowway.com I suppose I could go to any T-shirt making place and maybe have it custom ordered. My daughter's physical therapist hand made one for her when she graduated from therapy the first time and it said "Team Skylar" on the back and "Miracles Happen" on the front and they all signed it. It was very touching. My daughter is in and out of the hospital all the time and her pediatrician is now getting hospice involved and I think this extra support would be wonderful! Thank you very much for any info you have on this.

Melanie
                      Skylar's mom

Comment

You can just google various t-shirt sites. I don't have any one in mind. I think I will be making sweatshirts for my husband and I. It is cold in the hospital. We will wear them and it will give us great comfort. I am not going to ask any one else to wear one. Right now I am busy stressing over her big party next weekend. I will be happy when that is over.
                        Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa,

I've been following your "Team Nicole" posts and think it is a great idea.

I often make shirts for my girls for Erik's sports events and have found that the easiest most inexpensive way of making fun shirts is by using the iron on transfers. They really do work great and laundering them is not an issue.

They sell these transfers at any office supply store, craft stores and I've even seen them at Wal-Mart. You can but them for white shirts as well as for dark or colored shirts.

These are super simple if you decide to go this route and need some help let me know. You can even use Nicole's picture ~ she'd really hate that.

Amanda
                          Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
                          Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                          Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
                          Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
                          Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
                          26 Degree Post Op Curve
                          Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                          Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
                          YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

Thanks, Amanda. I may just go to this copier/office supply place that advertises that it does shirts. It is the last thing on my mind now. I am trying to find another blood donor for Nicole. My Mom can't give because she was in Mexico over the past year.

I am extremely busy with Nicole's Let's Get it Straight Party. We are having over 40 kids and over 30 adults. It better not rain. I always get nervous about big events. But Nicole is really excited for it. Ed is probably going to sing You Raise Me Up by Josh Groban. Just in case there weren't any tears. That should do it, right? If we make a video about her journey, we are probably using that song.

Oh, Ed and I took the girls to N.Y. to see A Chorus Line on Broadway. It is one of my favorites. Their voice teacher has a friend in the show and brought us back stage afterwards for a surprise. It was nice. Of course, I always said that if Nicole needed surgery I would get something big to happen like a meeting with Idina Menzel (Wicked, Rent). But I have no connections so this was the best we could do. It was a fun day.
                            Last edited by MATJESNIC; 08-06-2007, 08:32 PM.
                            Melissa

Comment

Would it be out of the question for Nicole to donate her own blood? Just a thought.

How fun, but I can only imagine the insanity right now. You should have "let's get it straight" t-shirts for all the guests.

And you can pass them out while Ed is singing ~ not a dry eye in the house.

Good Luck and post pictures, lots and lots of pictures!
                              Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
                              Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                              Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
                              Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
                              Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
                              26 Degree Post Op Curve
                              Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                              Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
                              YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

Working...
                              X