I fell today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I fell today

I guess this is adressed to anyone that has fallen after surgery!!!

I have tried the last 2 years trying my best to avoid falling, but I was outside and slipped on some pine needles and went down yesterday. I have been in a lot of pain all day. It's been a while since I've been in this much pain, and I am hoping it's only temporary pain. It has caused me to be short with my mother and I didn't want to speak with anyone that called me on the phone today.

If anyone has gone through this same situation, please let me know, so I know I"m not a total bitch!!!! I feel so quilty!!!

Shari

shari,I'm sorry to hear that you fell. I fell at about 5 mos out on a NYC street. I was a wreck after but all seemed ok when I was xrayed last. You probably did no harm except some achey muscles...
    Lynne
    Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 07-24-2007, 06:02 AM.

Comment

I fell for the first time 10 years after my surgery and I was 4 months pregnant at the time. I was scared to death. My dog had to help me up because no one was home around me and I was outside. I was wooried about my back and the baby. Both were fine. I was sore for about a week. I fell about a year later and broke a few ribs. Now, I try to roll if I fall on my back. I fell down steps a month ago and am just feeling better.
      Last edited by rainbow2010; 07-24-2007, 09:58 AM. Reason: typo
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Oh Shari, I hope you're okay!!!

I actuallly fell soon after I got home from rehab -- my leg buckled and I crumpled to the floor praying I wouldn't break the leg since I had no control over it as I fell. My muscles were sore for a couple of days but everything seemed fine after that so I didn't make a big deal of it.

If your pain doesn't improve I guess you better call for an x-ray!
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

It is so scary to fall. I fell 2 months after my surgery and broke my hip. It has been a long time healing. I am walking every day and climbing stairs with little pain. I am still weaning off the pain meds and my surgery was in Dec. I fell in Feb. My husband and I both freaked out when I fell. I had my brace on tho so my back was not injured. Hopefully everything will be just fine with you and healing will be quick.
          Linda G.

Comment

Shari:

I am so sorry to hear that you fell! Please, take care of yourself and go in to see your doctor or at least call them.

Ann
            44 year old female
            Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
            Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
            Posterior Only, 9 hours
            Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
            Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

To all of you caring hearts,

I can't help but thank you very much for your concern!!!! I'm still a little stiff, but I really don't think I hurt myself in any way that has worried me enough to go see my Doctor.

But I can't even express how much I appreciate everyone's concern!!!!

I guess I paniced because I haven't fallen since my surgery, and I guess I over reacted.

I am still walking a little slower, but the pain is not as bad. I feel bad that I wasted valuable space on this forum!!!

Shari

Comment

How is that wasting valuable space!? You fell and were concerned, this is the best place to express yourself, IMO.

I'm glad that you're feeling better.

Comment

Faaalling!!!!

I fell down the stairs last Nov. I slipped on its carpeting and bounced on my rear. I swear I could hear my hardware vibrating!! I couldn't believe it --it happened so fast. I was black and blue for several weeks and quite sore but when I went for my 4 year check-up all was well. I used my TENS machine.
                  I never even called Dr. Boachie because I figured I was walking and it was getting better.
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I'm glad you're feeling better about it. I'm sure that can be extremely scary. I hope the pain subsides quickly!
                    32 y/o male
                    S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
                    Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

Thank you all again!!!

Chris I didn't know you fell so soon after your surgery, and Lynne I remember one of your post's where you fell after your surgery, I can't remember the exact situation but I think it was in a park. Karen, I can't even imagine falling and bouncing on steps, ouch!!!

Rainbow I'm so glad to hear that you and your child were okay!!! And Linda G., I feel a little quilty for whining, cause I didn't break anything.

It's been 4 days since I took my "dumb ass" spill and I'm still hurting some. And I'm still a little grumpy, but I am feeling better. I'm just not a grumpy person, and I hate myself when I get that way!!! I'm just having a hard time understanding why I'm being so mean. I even yelled at my dog today, and that's just not me!!!

Help,
                      Shari

Comment

hang in there, Shari-

Sorry you're still so sore ! Since my dog forgives me for not being able to throw her frisbee, i know yours forgives you too ! ( can't speak for the humans in our lives) ya know, while i was in rehab, i asked my therapist to demonstrate what i was supposed to do if i fell. he showed me and i tried it. I could NOT get up from the ground by myself! It scared me to death! I haven't fallen yet, but i am sure my time is coming- try to take it easy and you could never "waste space" on this forum !!! Glad you're getting better- Lisa
                        Lisa age 47
                        T curve 69 degrees
                        L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                        fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                        anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                        pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

My daughter read this and said to tell you that she falls a lot! She did this before surgery also. She has problems with fluid building up in her ears and that causes her to loose her balance easily. I really worried about her this spring when she was doing a dance for her class at school and it involved dancing with a chair and leaping over it. She came home with some bruises, but bounced back without problems. I guess our fears have a lot to do with our age. The older you get and the longer postop before falling, the more scared you get It takes me longer now to get over my falls. I have severe arthritis in my spine now, so falls are extremely painful and a big ordeal for me. As for your dog, she can sense your worry and knows you are not mad at her. She will probably be close to you (under foot) until you feel better. I had a coonhound/lab mixed that I trained to help me get up from the floor. She helped me when I fell a couple of times.
                          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I have fallen twice since my surgery almost 2 years ago. The first time was about 6 months ago in a nail salon. I had finished and leaned over to pick up my cane which had fallen on the floor at my feet. The chair, having wheels, scooted out from under me and turned over... I tried to catch myself on the manicure table, but it too had wheels and it scooted the other way and i plopped down right on my bottom!! I was sooo embarrassed... but thankfully there was only one other customer in the salon at that time and the employees rushed to help and were so concerned. Now when they see me coming, they are very careful to hold the chair while i sit down...lol...

The second time i fell was just last weekend.... I was feeling so fiesty (pride goeth before a fall ) and thought i could carry my luggage and hanging clothes to the car by myself. Going down the front porch concrete stairs, i went down ... skinned my legs and arm and bruising my ham bone...lol.... I had to take a pain pill the next day, but it was due to muscle soreness more than anything else....

So i guess it happens to us all, and we must be tougher than we think...((((hugs )))) to you for being upset about it though....

Did you look around the first thing ... to see if anyone saw you fall?

Comment

JoAnne,

I yelled for my sister to come help me up.

I am still in some additional pain from this fall and it's been 6 days . I am so mad at myself for having the wrong shoe's on, and putting myself in that situation.

I guess I have always thought a fall, no matter whether it be on ice or snow, and apparently pine needles, would be an unfortunate thing. I know I was right now.

It was a stupid mistake that I hope everyone takes note of!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
                              X