How symmetrical are you (post-op)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How symmetrical are you (post-op)?

I'm not expecting 100 percent symmetry, but it looks and feels to me as though my right side -- the side with the incision -- is getting quite curved around the hip, while my left side is straight up and down. Before surgery, it was the opposite -- I had a hip hump on the left side and my right side was more straight. Does this change and/or settle down over time?? My belly and abdomen are still swollen and my leg problem keeps me from walking normally. I'm hoping the walking issue doesn't affect how the fusion itself heals.

Any insights on this???
    Thanks,
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Chris,
    I notice that I am very straight on my right side now where it went in horribly from the curve before surgery. On the left side, incision side, it now seems to be curved a bit more... I only noticed it in the last few mths as my stomach swelling went down..Ly

Comment

Hi Chris
      I felt exactly the same in the weeks after surgery. I had posterior surgery without swelling. My right hip stuck out more, when before surgery it was my left. My waist curved more on the right, whereas before it was on he left. Almost as if was 'over-corrected'... I am 5 months post op and definitely feel things are 'settling down'. There is a little asymmetry, but when you compare it to before, there's really nothing to say...It takes a bit of time to come to terms with your new body...
      Hope your leg issue gets better soon; Can't imagine it would have an impact on fusion..
      48 yr old female. 80° thoracolumber curve. Surgery Feb 14 2007. Fused T3 - L5. Correction to 23°. Happy!

Comment

I'm thankful to hear about people's idea of an almost 'over correction'. I'm 3.5 weeks post op and still have lots of swelling in my lower back and hips but when I stand straight as I can, it almost seems that my torso juts to the right a little, where as before my curve was to the left, almost like they overshot it. I'm hoping that when the swelling subsides and i complete all of my pt, my shoulders will be sitting right over my hips with a straight new back.
        Sonia
        58*
        Surgery 6/29/07
        T3-L4

Comment

My son had fusion surgery a week & a half ago & he doesn't seem quite symmetrical either. He still leans more on one hip & his shoulders are uneven & somewhat rounded forward. His back does look flatter though. He was fused from T8-L3 but I'm not sure yet what correction he got, esp. with his lower curve. The top curve looks much straighter than it had been. I am waiting until his appt. on 8/3 to find out more about his correction. It sounds like even if his energy & activity level are returning, it could be a year or so until his body fully settles into its new way of being.

It's great to hear other people's similar issues about this topic.
          Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
          Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
          Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

This is only my opinion from my past experience and you can take it for what it worth!!!

Your bodies have just been rearranged and it is an adjustment to get used to what you are seeing and feeling!!! I can't even count the number of times I would look in the mirror and thought I didn't look normal. But what we think is normal for us was always crooked, and after the surgery we look considerably different. I found it hard to comprehend that it looked "normal"! It made me very nervous.

I was so used to seeing my body in the wrong position, that when I got rearranged I thought I looked weird!!! Is that what you may be going through??? I'm no expert, but I know how I felt, and I can't help but wonder???

I can only say now after being 2 years post op, I am not ashamed of how I look, I can deal with how I feel, and most of all, how proud I am of my scars!!!

It has made me stronger, because I know now that I can survive just about anything!!!

My only hope is that other's understand where I'm coming from!!!

Shari

Comment

I think it takes a while for everything to settle in. Before my first surgery, one hip was significantly higher than the other. After surgery it looked even worse than originally. I panicked and remember complaining to my surgeon at my first followup. He showed me comparison xrays;the hips were definitely straighter, and over the next few months they straightened themselves out visually. It might just take a little more healing time.
              FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
              10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
              8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
              5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
              2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
              3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Actually, I also kept thinking that Dr. B had "overcorrected" me too! Before surgery I told myself that the cosmetic part of this didn't matter, but after going through it, let me tell you, the cosmetic part of it matters A LOT to me. My husband and daughter tell me I look terrific and straight so Shari, maybe you're right in that I'm just not used to looking at my new body yet. I think when the anterior incision (I call it my shark bite) stops pulling at me, I will be able to feel straighter.

Hubby took me out on the street today with my walker. It felt good to get outside and walk as best I can, even though I feel so extremely vulnerable and shaky. The physical therapist told me yesterday it could be six months before I have enough control over the bad leg to drive again, which threw me a bit.
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Chris,

I know how you felt before the surgery, and when I see how well you are doing right now, I'm so proud of you!!! Trust me , I know it's no picnic, but you are on this forum and the things that you are doing so soon afterwards are such an acomplishement, I just hope you take some kind of pride in that!!!

Keep up the good work, but don't get discouraged if you have an ocassional down day.

I would have a good day and do way too much and then I suffered for several days and sometime weeks afterwards.

And don't get down because someone told you you may not be able to do something that you thought you would be able to do. None of us heal the same. I have to kind of smile sometimes when the medical professionals tell us what we can and can't do, and not one of them have ever gone through this surgery!!!

I have nothing but extreme respect for the Doctor's that have devoted their valuable time and skill to help us, but no one can convince me that they have a format that tells us how we will heal.

You impress me,

Shari

Comment

Working...
                  X