post surgery pregnancy complications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post surgery pregnancy complications

hi everyone. i had corrective surgery a year and a half ago and all is well. my husband and i are starting our family and i was wondering if anyone had any information about complications - particularly with my incision. my scar is over a foot long, ranging from my right shoulder blade to my belly button. will i have problems later on in pregnancy due to the location of my incision? i know i might be paranoid, but if anyone has any information, it would be helpful. google isn't helping much.....Thanks!!!
    Chloe
    Surgery date: December 12, 2005
    Pre op lumbar curve: 68 degrees, thoracic curve: 38 degrees
    Post op lumbar curve: 25 degrees, thoracic curve: 15

I haven't had surgery, but have severe shermans kyphosis and have a 10mo DD.

My curve straigtened quite a bit while pg - I actually gained about 3-4 inches in hight.

Around 9 months after birth though - my back began to rapidly increase the curve again, and now I'm worse than prior to getting pg. I'm basically in a wheelchair now vs. some walking prior to gettting pg.

I think surgery would prevent this to a degree

I'd do it all over again though - having my daughter makes all the pain I'm now in worthwhile everytime I look at her.

Comment

Hi Chloe...

I don't remember ever hearing about a complication with a healed anterior scoliosis surgery incision during pregnancy.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Chloe,

Just from being a part of this forum for over the last 2 years, if Linda R. gives you advice you can find it reliable that comes with many years of knowledge.

I trust what she says!!! Hope that helps.

Shari

Comment

Hi Chloe. I had anterior/posterior surgery and my scar from the anterior part goes from slightly left and below my belly button all the way up my left rib cage towards my left shoulder blade. I had no trouble during my pregnancy with the scar. It did stretch, along with the rest of my stomach, but it was totally fine and intact...no problems...
          You're not being paranoid. I was worried about childbirth and kept asking my surgeon if the screws could pop out during delivery. I had these crazy visions of the hardware coming loose. It's amazing how well everything is in place...I had absolutely no trouble...
          Good luck!!!
          Heather
          Heather
          Surgery date: April 20, 2004
          Anterior/posterior surgery
          Fused T-11 to L-5
          Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
          Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
          Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
          Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

thank you all so very much for your responses!! i appreciate it and i feel much better now
            Chloe
            Surgery date: December 12, 2005
            Pre op lumbar curve: 68 degrees, thoracic curve: 38 degrees
            Post op lumbar curve: 25 degrees, thoracic curve: 15

Comment

Working...
            X