Feeling down about more tests :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling down about more tests :(

I'm almost 2 years post-op but still experience pretty significant pain, esp. in the area above my fusion. Fused from T4 to S1, and the pain is above that in the neck and upper thoracic. Not really any pain in the area where i'm fused, though. Surgeon sent me for MRIs and i just heard today that i'm being scheduled for discograms in a couple of weeks. When i had those done before, i didn't realize what they were like. This time i know what to expect and i can't help but feel down and full of dread to have to go thru all that again. I just hope i'm not starting the road to more surgery, as i really don't know if i can endure all that again. Sorry to whine, have any of you experienced this second round of problems?

JoAnn

I feel your pain...

JoAnn:

I do feel your pain - literally. I have already been told that the fusion surgery I have scheduled for 9/24 will not help with my neck pain as I have degenerative discs and a herniated disc in my neck. That, they say, will have to be addressed through PT. I don;t see how PT can help degenerated discs though. Anyway, there was a time when my greatest pain was in the neck and trigger points in the shoulders and upper spine. However, that has changed in recent years...nowmy lower back pain has gotten so bad that it overshadows the neck and upper back pain. And that's saying something! The dr says that the surgery should address my upper and lower back pain, but as I said not the neck. So, no matter what, I will still have pain post-op.

Ann
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

JoAnn,
      I know how you feel . In '02 I had an A/P from T4-S1. Then about a year to year and half later I started haveing pain in my neck/arm numbness/muscle spasms across my shoulders. I had a herninated disk and severe arthritis in my neck. I had 3 plates with fusion at C5/6/7. I have to tell you my neurosurgeon was fabulous . I stayed overnight at the hospital and went home with a removable neck brace that I had to wear 23 hours a day. I was weaned off at 6 weeks, followed by PT for another 6 weeks. The surgery was really easy compared to the A/P and the result was worth it.
      Sandy
      SandyC

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

Houston... i hope your surgery will improve things for you. At least one part of your back will be better, even if your neck isn't. Maybe straightening your horizontal plane will help your neck since it won't be skewed trying to compensate. Good luck to you at any rate. (((hugs)))

Sandy.... I'm glad to hear that there is relief to be found, even if it means more surgery. Thanks for the positive comments. I'll just have to psych myself up some more. The news that i'd have to have the same tests that started me out before my first surgery just shot me down. Surely it won't be as bad as the first if i do even require surgery again. I had soooo many incisions with that one.... it just scares me to think of anything like that again.

Comment

Working...
        X