osteopath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• osteopath

something I had considered trying for a long time, but never got to, also as we did not want to overburden L with too many treatments.

Anyway, with the concern about some loss of control, and the feeling we "had to do something" we moved on this one and this morning we saw "Claire", local osteopath who had alook at L.

Big contrast with chiropracter (2 years ago), whilst the first one was going to "get L straight" in no time (and proved it with some polaroid photographs) this osteopath seemed to have both legs firmly on the ground, stated very clearly that she could not promise to be able to improve the scoliosis, but what she could do was helping in improving/ maintaining the flexibility of the spine, which I have always considered to be key to scoliosis management. Her actions appeared to make more sense to me then the very wishy-washy witchcraft of our previous chiro, with a fair amount of pushing/ pulling/ bending in a way that you could imagine it could just about make some difference. And L really enjoyed and liked it and felt "a bit free-er" after.

OK, hope is very seductive, and when you feel really down anybody saying they might be able to help you is always going to sound good, but, as we have nothing to loose, we are going to give it a go for a couple of months.

gerbo
    Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 04:50 AM.

Hi Gerbo,

Glad you had a good experience with your new osteopath. Have you discussed this course of action with Mr Mills or Mr Cole?

I received a copy of Mr Cole's letter to Imogen's GP yesterday, he said "Clinically the curve is extremely flexible". Which, from his point of view means that he will be able to get an excellent correction WHEN surgery is necessary. I suppose that keeping the curve flexible via an osteopath is therefore a good idea for Immy too.

Laura
    UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
    10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
    Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

I am open minded to additional therapies as long as they do not work against
      the SpineCor brace corrective movement strategy. Mr Cole is correct there is
      no absolute evidence for physiotherapy helping with progressive scoliosis,
      however, my gut feeling is that it could help. There are plenty of people
      using physiotherapy techniques who claim good results but they do not have
      scientifically valid long term results yet!
      this was mr mills comment

Re imogen; wonder why we had x ray at 1,3 and 6 months on the NHS and you have to wait till 6 months before you get one (privately)

How does she look to you, is she coping?

Comment

wonder why we had x ray at 1,3 and 6 months on the NHS and you have to wait till 6 months before you get one (privately)
        I think they've altered their way of doing things. Presumably they now have more faith in the other methods of monitoring. Also, perhaps as Lisanna was a little older she was more likely to be growing?

Anyway, she's doing fine. Adjusting to the small differences in life with only the odd grumble. Some bigger adjustments will follow.

Is Lisanna going to the NYB workshop on Aug 22nd at Elmhurst? I don't think Immy will be able to because of the brace....

Laura
        UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
        10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
        Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

l will have a whole week with the national youth ballet as from the 17th of august, this will mean more time out of brace then "allowed" and I would not encourage anybody to follow this bad example, however, she needs to live as well............
          Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 04:49 AM.

Comment

as there were some clashes with schooltimes and availability of our first osteopath (claire), we went this saturday to a different one with more availability over weekends. Highly recommended she was as well, but blimey, what a difference in approach. Very leading questions about accidents in childhood and her three relatively minor falls quickly became "the source of the problem" and classified her as "accident prone". Much was made of the occasional headache she gets (very occasionally), and her language about how she was going to deal with the problem was incomprehensible to me. She spend about a half hour pushing somewhere on l's back of head with a kind of argument that if she sorted assymmetry out at that level; "the rest would follow". She also expressed doubts about the use of bracing (really making my wife insecure) and all in all we felt worse coming in than going out. really brough back memories of our first chiropracter, with her chrystals and seductive arguments, (baptised "the witch" by l). Anyway, hopefully osteopath nr 1 is going to work weekends as well, so it will be back to her....
            Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Plenty of research is being done to demostrate that the Rigo-Chaneau brace from Dr. Manuel Rigo in Barcelona , Spain or the Physio-logic brace from Dr. Hans Weiss from Bad Soberheim, Germany are the " best practice " in conservative scoliosis care .
              have you got any of the outcomes of that research available???

Comment

Schroth

The 3 Dimensional Katharina Schroth Method is a Physiotherapeutic treatment very specialized for scoliosis with great success in Europe
                BETall

I've read some of the outcomes in the academic literature. Although using this method results, statistically, in less surgery for adolescents with IS there are stiil a certain number that require surgery nonetheless. This method is no guarantee of avoiding surgery. A brace and in-patient physio is part of the European protocol.
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

We did have an appointment scheduled with an osteopath but it was rescheduled for later this month. I'm hoping she's not a witch like the one you described. I'm feeling a little unsettled given recent developments. I know doctors have to maintain a certain level of detachment and that's where we fit in - we're the heart to this equation. I'm hoping for good news for you Gerbo! When is your appointment with Mr. Mills? Do things look better?

Canadian eh
                  Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

on reflection, and reading her leaflet, she was a "cranial osteopath", who tend to look at the birthingprocess as the source of all problems in childhood, like asthma, hayfever, crying, earinfections etc etc (hence all her leading questions about difficulties in birth, headposition, headaches) and if only the bony plates of your skull can be readjusted you'll be happy forever after.......

don't worry about your appointment, have a go and see what he/she is like and try to make a common sense judgement as to whether he/she is likely to make any difference.

we are trying to stay as relaxed as possible, painfully aware that there is only so much you can do before you start driving yourself, l and others totally bonkers and can only hope that somehow, through what we are doing, we can make a difference,

we won't get reviewed now till january

gerbo
                    Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 04:39 AM.

Comment

The things that will see me through - sanity intact - is common sense, articles collecting dust in empty medical libraries and your pearls of wisdom.
                      Last edited by Celia; 10-05-2007, 03:18 PM.

Canadian eh
                      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Comment

It's true! Specially the pearls of wisdom.

Canadian eh

Comment

Working...
                          X