Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correction for post-adolescent patients?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correction for post-adolescent patients?

Hello

Just wondering if post-adolescent patients can obtain the same level of correction (from surgery) as those who have spinal fusion during their teen years?

Also, sorry for all the posts - I'm just excited that there are other ppl to talk about all my questions

Thanks,

Generally no they can't but thats a pretty big generalisation and really it depends on your flexibility.

The big advantage of being young is that you normally have a much faster recovery time because the body can heal itself better while its young.

But how post-adolescent are you talking?

Best way to tell on the amount of correction is with bending x-rays from which the surgeon can tell how flexible your spine is and therefore the amount of correction you can achieve...if that makes sense lol

Sorry this wasn't a v comprehensive post, maybe somebody else can explain it better?
    Em.
    19yo
    Australia
    Surgery 11th December 2007
    t c 60 l c 45

Comment

Originally posted by emmalouise
      Generally no they can't but thats a pretty big generalisation and really it depends on your flexibility.

The big advantage of being young is that you normally have a much faster recovery time because the body can heal itself better while its young.

But how post-adolescent are you talking?

Best way to tell on the amount of correction is with bending x-rays from which the surgeon can tell how flexible your spine is and therefore the amount of correction you can achieve...if that makes sense lol

Sorry this wasn't a v comprehensive post, maybe somebody else can explain it better?
      Hmm..interesting. In terms of post adolescent - we're talking about 24-26yrs of age.

Comment

If you read alot of these posts in here you will see that many people that are "post adolescent" get very good correction. You fact, there is alot of us in our upper 40's to mid 50's (and even a few 60's) that have gotten excellent correction. As Emmalouise said, our recovery time is much longer than those in their twenties and thirties.
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

It's different for everyone. I've known people in their 40's and 50's who ended up with curves < 10 degrees. At 43, my curves were down to <20 post op.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

^ Bump

Did everyone here who had surgery expect 100% correction (patients who are post-adolescent)? Just wonder what a "good" amount of correction is.

I'm 24 yrs old; however, I don't have scoliosis - just kyphosis. There aren't too many ppl who seem to have that so any thoughts would be great.

Comment

I was told years ago only to expect 50% correction and I got about 60%. My daughter was told to expect 50 - 60% correction and she got more than that. The doctor told us the amount of correction depends on any bone deformity they find. One doctor told us he gets 100% correction with all his patients. I have talked to a couple that he said that to and they only got about 50%.
              T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
              2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
              3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
              Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hi Canadian Bacon-
                I had surgery 8 months ago for severe kyphosis and scoliosis as well-I am 46 and my dr corrected the kyphosis 100% but hte scoliosis curve was only reduced by about 25%. However the hump was caused by the kyphosis so my back looks very normal now and I am happy!!
                Cathie

Comment

At age 42 I got about 50% correction of my scoliosis and pretty much total correction of my rotation. Still leaves me with 30+ curves but I am happy.
                  Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                  Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                  http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X