Questions about surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about surgery

How many different kinds of surgery’s are there and can you get the rods removed from your back after it heals??

Are there restrictions on your body years later as in what you can and can’t do?

About having the rods removed - my doctor told me that unless they're causing a problem, they're not usually taken out, and that there's not actually a lot of point in taking them out.

Comment

Originally posted by sitoutturn
      How many different kinds of surgery’s are there and can you get the rods removed from your back after it heals??

Are there restrictions on your body years later as in what you can and can’t do?
      Hi...

Most scoliosis surgery involves fusion. Rods are attached to the spine (either the front of the spine or the back of the spine), usually with hooks or screws. The rods are manipulated during surgery, straightening the spine, and morselized bone is applied. Over time, the morselized bone fuses to the spine, the discs harden, and the part of the spine that is included in the fusion becomes a solid mass. That's a little over-simplified, but it's essentially how scoliosis is treated with surgery.

The rods can be removed, but there is actually some danger in doing so. It's certainly not something one would do without a specific reason.

As to restrictions, I've known of surgeons who tell their patients to avoid anything that puts a lot of stress on the spine, and I've known surgeons who tell their patients they can do anything.

If you're interested in reading about it, I'd recommend The Scoliosis Sourcebook by Michael Neuwirth and Scoliosis Surgery The Definitive Patient Reference by Dave Wolpert.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
      X