Anyone Live Alone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Live Alone?

I was curious if anyone is post-op and lives alone?
    I was wondering what kind of obstacles you faced because of this. Thanks!
    Lindsey
    T-12 to L-3 posterior fusion
    Surgery July 30, 2007
    Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

My daughter needed help for two to three weeks. You won't be able to do any housework during that time. Showering will be a challenge also. It will take a couple of months to completely get your energy back. You will want help after surgery. Even though you may not want to give up your independence, post-op is the time for pampering!
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hi Lindsey...

Although I could take care of my personal needs (showering, etc.) without help, I could really only fix meals for myself if everything was at countertop level. I could make a bowl of cereal, or a sandwich, but that was about it.

I would say that it would be very helpful if you had someone to help you for the first two weeks at home. If you don't have anyone to stay with you, ask friends and family to set up a schedule so that you have someone coming to check on you, and bringing you food, at least twice a day.

If you have pets or children who can't care for themselves 100%, you will almost certainly need help.

Best of luck with your surgery.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi,

I am 2 months post op and I had my parents move in to help for 8 weeks. Yes, I have three kids ages 3, 7 and 10 and they can be very helpful, but needed additional suppervision. The hardest part is the housework. I still can't carry grocery bags, clean the house or do the laundry. I can do dishes at the sick, empty the top of the dishwasher but not the bottom and make simple meals. It is just the every day housework that I really can't do and my energy has not returned.

Kari
        age 39
        fused T-4 - L-3

Comment

Thanks for the insight.
          I'm currently in my parent's house and plan to remain here for around 2 months post-opt. I was trying to get some insight into potential difficulties once I move. Sounds like it might be necessary for me to have someone come twice a week to do some light house work.
          Lindsey
          Surgery July 30, 2007
          Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

Comment

Hi Lindsey,

By 2 months out you should be fine. You might have a housekeeper come to do the deep cleaning during the 3rd month out from surgery. You won't be able to lift a bucket of water to mop floors for example. Just FYI a gallon weighs about 8lbs. You will be limited to 5 lbs lifting for awhile. A full laundry basket will be tough also. You will need to learn to carry small amounts. Grocery shopping you can do but again no lifting heavy things. I had help with the thanksgiving turkey I made at 9 months out, it was 20lbs.

Comment

Geez...there are so many things that I'm just now thinking about....
              I think...oh if it's a heavy bag I can just pull it on a roller but then I think how will I bend over to pick stuff up out of the bag...
              I guess some of it will just be solved once I'm in that situation
              Lindsey
              Surgery July 30, 2007
              Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

Comment

Working...
              X