Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does your energy return?

Hi,

I am 39 and 8 weeks post op and doing very well overall. My main issue is energy! If I go to the mall one day and walk around for three hours with a friend, I am completly exhausted the next. I am suppose to return to teaching in 6 weeks, I can't imagine having enough energy to do that. I still need help with my three kids at home.

Any thoughts, I know everyone is different. But how do you know when your ready to return to work? Do you just wake up one day feeling completly recovered?

Kari

energy/stamina levels...

Hi Kara,
    I was amazed how long it took for my energy/stamina to come back. I have 2 boys-8 & 11 and was always running with them. After this surgery, I was zapped for months. I was much more exhausted by late afternoon & had to lie down at times-still at about 4 months post-op. Now, at almost a year, I feel pretty close to my normal energy level..but I'm older, at 47....
    Looking back, I was probably always doing more than I really should of at different stages. I am a 'high' energy' person! I was cooking light meals at about a month &1/2 with help, light vacuuming etc..Now I do most of the things I did before...minus the heavy lifting.. Lynne

fused T-11 to L-5/Boachie/Kim-at HSS/Aug 1/2007
    Almost a year now!!!!

Comment

I used a stool with a back and an overhead to teach. That way you can sit down for more time than if you were at a board (you can also see you students all the time then!) What grade do you teach? There are many different ways to get help and lighten your load during the day. After two months postop, you should be able to make it during the day. My daughter would come home from school and nap for about an hour, then be fine for the rest of the evening. I went back full-time after 5months, but that was because I had to wait for a teacher to go on leave. I was ready by 2 months.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Thanks for the information. I teach special education ages 4 - 10 (grades JK -4th grade). In addition, I go to two different schools and do all the initial IEP paperwork for those grades. This job was split between two teachers up until one year ago (budget cuts), now it is all on my shoulders. I do have two fantastic assitant teachers, but it is still overwhelming to think about returning.

I am working on being a mom full time for a 3, 7 and 10 year old.

Kari

Comment

Kari,

Best of luck to you, I am also 8 weeks post op and I work in a classroom with all autistic children. I was scheduled to go back the 1st of Sept. until the Dr. saw me at the 6 week check up and changed his mind and put me off until 12-31-07 (7 months post op). I know there is no way for me to go back sooner, as we do a lot of lifting in our classroom and to be honest i'm not sure if i'll ever be able to do that again. I will truly miss the kids if I can't go back but if I can't lift the kids, I won't be allowed back.

Good Luck in your recovery.
          Patty 51 years old
          Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
          Posterior T3- L4
          Pre surgery curves
          T-53degrees
          L-38degrees
          and a severe side shift to the right.
          Post surgery curves
          Less than 10 degrees
          Surgery April, 2006
          C4 - C6