coming along slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coming along slowly

Hi everyone -- just wanted to touch base. As grateful as I am for oxycontin, I can't wait to be off the stuff because as soon as I'm lying down or sitting down, I'm asleep!!

My leg continues to be quite weak, and I still can't walk without a walker, but the pain in my leg is starting to let up, thank God. My first follow-up with Boachie is on August 9; they're giving me a little extra time to get my act together before making the trip back up to NY. I have a physical therapist coming to the house 3 days a week; it seems to be helping.

Oh and by the way: I never lost my appetite with this surgery -- in fact, I need to watch it or I'll GAIN weight!!!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

keep walking, chris-

Even though you are still using the walker, you are improving! I am not sure why, but walking seems to be the one thing that gets us through to recovery. I had to cut back on the high calorie stuff too, that weight loss phase didn't last long. Thank God for your improvement! Lisa
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Chris,

Glad to hear that the pain is easing up. All things considered, it seems to me that you are recovering quite well, despite the leg weakness. Maybe the leg weakness is nature's way of saying you are not quite ready to resume your former schedule of shopping/cooking/PTA meetings etc.!

Take care,
      Janet
      As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Do you mind me asking how many mg of Oxycodone you are taking and how often. I just started taking it and am wondering if it is a normal dose.
        Thanks
        CarolS
        68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
        Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
        Osteotomy March 20,2008
        Thrilled with results!

Comment

Sleep is a good thing Chris! I slept so good the first few months after surgery- due to the pain pills I am sure. Glad the pain in your leg is going away! I am sure time will heal everything, just like the rest of us. We are pulling for you!
          Cathie

Comment

Hi Chris,

It's nice to hear you are having a good recovery. But sleep as much as you can, that's how our bodies heal faster. I had a hard time sleeping for several months after my surgery.

You're only a month and a half post op, give your body time to heal!!!

Keep up the good work, but be patient. I know it's hard to do but it's worth it in the end. Don't rush it.

I'm so happy for you for doing so well in such a short amount of time!!!

Shari

Comment

CStadler:

I'm on 20 mgs of oxycontin twice a day, then 10 mgs. every three hours as needed for breakthrough pain. I'm also on a low dose of muscle relaxants (beclafine). I could probably use more pain meds but don't want to be more out of it (or constipated) than I already am.

I gotta tell you, the anterior incision hurts like a sonofabitch...I can hardly sit up at all as nerves and muscles in that area wake up.

I spoke too soon about the leg -- it's been hurting again and its sooooo weak. I can't do steps at all. I'm really pretty scared and discouraged about the leg. I don't want to scare anyone waiting for surgery, but that's the way it is for me right now. I haven't heard of anyone else on this forum having a problem to this extent after surgery so apparently it's not sometjing to worry about beforehand.
              Chris

Comment

Chris:

I am so sorry to hear about your continued problems and pain. I have seen a lot of posts about the roller coaster of recovery - one step forward and two steps back. I have to ask you, did you ever have a C-Section? Is the anterior incision pain worse than that? My twins are 19 months old and, while the incision doesn'e hurt constantly anymore, it hurts like a dickens if one of them pinches or steps on it. Thanks and I really hope your leg gets better. Just try (I know that's easy to say) to be patient and communicate with your doctor about it.

Best of luck and my prayers are with you!

Ann
                44 year old female
                Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
                Posterior Only, 9 hours
                Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
                Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Houston Curves

I had a C-section and to compare the two surgeries - my C-section was a walk in the park.
                  Having surgery with twins approaching the terrible twos, you are very brave. What has made you decide to have surgery with such young children?

Sue

Comment

Why surgery now? Rate of progression, ease of recovery (age), likelihood of complications (age), and I am in a great deal of pain. The usual I guess.
                    44 year old female
                    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
                    Posterior Only, 9 hours
                    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
                    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Please don't worry about scaring me. I want to be as prepared as I can. I have had 4 C-sections, no problem with any of them. I also had a umbelical hernia repair and tummy tuck after that and it was hard to get over. Not sure why.
                      I am only taking between 5 mg and 7.5 mg a day of Oxycodone right now to control the pain so I guess that isn't to bad.
                      I really appreciate the info, thanks.
                      Chris, I really hope you start feeling better soon. I am sure some days it is very hard to cope but you have friends here and it can only get better.
                      Take care, Carol
                      CarolS
                      68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
                      Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
                      Osteotomy March 20,2008
                      Thrilled with results!

Comment

Hi Chris,

I guess my message to you is to not get discouraged, even though I know how hard that is to do!!! You have just gone through a extreme surgery and your body is not only in the healing process, but it's adjusting to the new position.

It's a rough surgery and I am so proud of you!!! I was not able to get on this forum as soon as you have been. At first I wanted to get off the meds, but it didn't take me long to realize that they helped so much. There is no shame in needing them!!!

I know you're having a rough time right now, but I found it amazing how strong we really are to endure it.

It's been 2 years for me now, and I am proud that I survived the battle. And you should take pride in that too!!!

Just don't feel shame for having bad days!!! I know how depressing that can be.

Just want you to know you're not alone in your battle, and you are in my thoughts a lot!!!

Shari

Comment

Chris

It is still early in your recovery before you know it the leg pain will be gone. I had weak legs also and a lot of hip and leg pain. Now I am 5 months post op and my legs get a little weak sometimes when I over do it, but I am back to work full time with a commute to New York City something I couldn't think I would be doing a few months ago.

Sue

Comment

SuzyJay-

Congratulations on your reaching a true milestone: commuting to NYC!

Janet
                            As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Thanks Shari, Sue, Ann and all for the encouraging words. I had a phone conversation with Dr. B yesterday -- he was reassuring about the leg and said that with this kind of complication, a month is way too early to start worrying that it won't go back to normal. He said to give it a lot more time and lots of PT. I'll find out more when I see him in August.

It's funny -- I pictured myself as a very patient person before this surgery but find that I am anything but at this point !!!
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X