Bracing Post Op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracing Post Op

I have read many post op stories and everyone talks about a back brace. My surgeon told me I wouldn't have one at all. Is this because I am having rods on both sides of my spine or does everyone have rods with this type of surgery. If so why doesn't he use a back brace?
    CarolS
    68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
    Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
    Osteotomy March 20,2008
    Thrilled with results!

Carol,

With the newer instrumentation for scoliosis surgery I think everyone gets two rods one on either side of the spine. I know the old Harrington rod was only a single rod and in a small amount of cases they would use two.

The post op surgery brace that you are talking about is pretty much what your doctor prefers to do. With all three of my surgeries I have never used a post op brace.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I am just over two weeks post op and I have a brace. Before my surgery I talked to a 16 year old girl who had the same surgery and she wasn't given a brace either. I think it's just doctor's preference. It is possible that doctors brace older people but not teens? I don't think it is any cause for concern. I was told at home when I'm primarily resting that I don't have to wear my brace but just when I leave the house. I think the brace is mostly for protection, not for maintaining our new backs.
      Sonia
      58*
      Surgery 6/29/07
      T3-L4

Comment

Sonia,

I was 48, 49, and 50 years old when I had my surgeries with no brace. So I don't think it has to do with age, only the doctor's preference.
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I agree with Theresa it does seem to depend on the Dr. Mine said "your brace is on the inside." He doesn't like to use one, he said, because muscles get weak without use. I was 43.

Comment

I am 52 and he said no brace, so I agree it must be the doctors own preference and he did mention about the muscles getting weak.
            I wasn't concerned just wanting to know as much as I can prior to the surgery.

Thanks everyone!
            CarolS
            68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
            Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
            Osteotomy March 20,2008
            Thrilled with results!

Comment

No brace for me either....

I was somewhat of an oddity at the Baylor Rehab in Dallas- the nurses could not believe I had 13 levels of fusion and no brace..all of the other patients there at that time did have one. I was quite glad I did not have one....Lisa
              Lisa age 47
              T curve 69 degrees
              L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
              fused to from T-3 to sacrum
              anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
              pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

No brace here!

The first thing I did when I woke up was move my feet. The second was asking the nurses if I needed a brace. Pre-surgery my surgeon said if he had room to get two rows of screws in, no brace, but if only one row went in, I would need one. I didn't want one, I had had one for years before!! And fortuanately enough, the two rows went in and I didn't have to get the brace. I think a lot of it is doctor preference though, because some of the surgeons I met with pre-surgery told me it was required no matter what.
                Chloe
                Surgery date: December 12, 2005
                Pre op lumbar curve: 68 degrees, thoracic curve: 38 degrees
                Post op lumbar curve: 25 degrees, thoracic curve: 15

Comment

I also believe it is purely the drs preference. I will have one, but had that as one of my initial questions for for the dr. When I asked, he looked pensive, as though he expected me to argue against one. However, with the twins, I am happy that I'll have one. Not so much as protection, but as a constant reminder to me and them (and my husband - he's a real driving force around here to get things done) that I can't do some things.

Ann
                  Last edited by Houston Curves; 07-21-2007, 11:05 PM.
                  44 year old female
                  Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                  Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
                  Posterior Only, 9 hours
                  Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
                  Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

My daughter has rods on both sides of her spine and she did not need a brace. Her doctor explained that a brace is usually only used if one rod is put in. Then you only wear the brace until the bone has healed around the fusion. It is just for support so the rod doesn't slip. I have one rod and had to wear a body cast for 9 months (that was back when they were plaster and you couldn't take them off to bathe.)
                    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
                    X